Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my TH350 is wearing out and rather than spend money to rebuild it I would like to just put that money towards an overdrive trans. However right now I have a mild 350 in the car and down the road would like to do an LS conversion.

I dont pretend to know anything about transmissions but I am wondering if I purchase a rebuilt 4L60E can I use it with my current 350 and down the road use it with an LS engine? Also do they work with any overdrive capable shifter?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
It wasn't clear to me on your engine plans. If you have a 1pc seal 350, GM has an adapter that will let you run an LSx 4L60E/4L65E tranny with the gen 1 and gen 2 engine. Then you you get your LSx engine, it will bolt right up. As stated above, any of the electronic tranys will require a control module. It gives you control of the shift points and firmness as well as other functions. Pretty cool!!!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Not so fast!

There are 2 different 4L60E transmissions!

One for Gen1, II, III, IV & one for LS series engines.

GM makes adapters for both combinations.

Part# 12563532 is a crank spacer for a LS based engine to a Gen1 & II type 4L60E
Also will require longer bolts.

Part# 19154766 is a kit to put a LS based 4L60E transmission to a Gen1 & II based engine.
This kit includes Spacer ring, adapter, bolts, dowels & flex-plate.

Gm performance parts also has a Electronic Controller for the transmission if needed. Works with all 4L-E based transmissions.
Part # 12497316
Note: this part is High priced, may shop around for other vendors.

FYI
Al

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent info gentlemen. So the trans controller looks to be about $1000 which is pretty steep but will it save me down the road?

As in does the LS computer automatically control the E-series trans thus making the controller I paid $1000 for obsolete once I upgrade the engine?

And tnblkc230wz you are exactly right about my plans. I currently have a Gen I 350/TH350 in the car and I want to upgrade the trans to the 4L60E now, and down the road upgrade the Gen I engine to an LS series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts