Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I ran a 15x7 with a 5" backspacing for awhile. Occasionally, the insides of the tires would just barely kiss the spring clamps (I have multi-leafs). I have switched to 4.5 inch backspacing and have no issues.

Chuck

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not a Nova guru, but I have 15 X 7's on the rear of a totally stock 67 Nova and I still have 1.5" clearance between the tire and leaf spring, so I think an 8" wheel with the proper backspacing will fit w/o rubbing.
Another issue to think about is when you jack up the rear of the car the tires remain up in the wheel well and removing the tires from between the wheel studs and fender lips may be tight.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I'm not a Nova guru, but I have 15 X 7's on the rear of a totally stock 67 Nova and I still have 1.5" clearance between the tire and leaf spring, so I think an 8" wheel with the proper backspacing will fit w/o rubbing.
Another issue to think about is when you jack up the rear of the car the tires remain up in the wheel well and removing the tires from between the wheel studs and fender lips may be tight.
Hes absolutely right. You, ll have to jack up the car and then tilt the wheel in at the top to remove/install.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You can get an 8" wheel with 5 1/2" bs to work in the rear, but it's really tight! 7" with 4 1/2" up front.
I have to wonder if there are variables on the first/second gen. cars like there apparently are on third gens. I wonder aloud because there is absolutley NO WAY a five and half inch backspacing will fit on the rear of mine. As I previously stated, a 5 inch B.S. lightly touched the spring clamps on mine and they are only approx. 1/8 inch thick. An additional 1/2 inch will not bolt on to my car.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
I have to wonder if there are variables on the first/second gen. cars like there apparently are on third gens. I wonder aloud because there is absolutley NO WAY a five and half inch backspacing will fit on the rear of mine. As I previously stated, a 5 inch B.S. lightly touched the spring clamps on mine and they are only approx. 1/8 inch thick. An additional 1/2 inch will not bolt on to my car.
I wonder if you went to a 17x8 or 18x8, with a 5" backspacing and right tire, if it would make a difference? Since there won't be as much tire sidewall? I had some 17's with I believe 4 1/4 backspacing on mine and went back to my 15" rallys with 4 1/4 backspacing, and there seems to be quite of bit more room on the inside with the 17's. The tires on the 17's are 235/40-17, and the 15's are 215/60-15. Both are pretty close to the lip with the 4 1/4 backspacing.
It looked like to me that if you had the right backspacing and tire with a 17x8 it might fit?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wheel Sizes

This worked for me ....

Wheels - 17x7 Intro Twisted Vistas with 4.5 inch backspace (Front & Rear)

Tires - BFGoodrich, GForce Sport , Front 215/45/17, Rear 225/50/17

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Everytime I see those pictures I think I need a set of those wheels. I'm still thinking about it but not sure how I would like them on my white car. Very nice.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have do have 17's. As stated by Nwayne the 17's get you past the clamps and with the smaller sidewall leave more room(less bulge)? I have 17"x8" with 4 1/2 bs and a 255/45 tire and I need to narrow my rear 1" per side. I can get them on but they rub the outer inner wheel tub bad. Their is exactly 1 1/2" between the inner edge of the tire and the leaf springs. It would be tight but with a 5 1/2"bs it would work. I only wish the wheels I "had" to have were offered in 5 1/2" bs! Oh well I'll make them fit:D. I do believe their are big differences in specs from car to car as when I researched this before the #'s were all over the place even side to side on the same car. The best thing to do is just get a plumb bob out and go measure your car as it will most likely differ from others. Good luck finding wheels with 5 1/2" bs as I found the selection to be limited to mostly custom big $$$ wheels

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey 63.i inboarded the leafs on my 62 and put on 15by7 with a 275/60/15 with a 4 3/4 backspace.
The 275/60 is a tall and wide tire. That's got to look like some meat back there. Why a 7 and not an 8" wheel? Doesn't the tire buldge out from the wheel with 7's.? Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Why guess...simply measure using a home made tool or buy one of these from Summit or Jeg's...well worth knowing what exactly will fit and what won't. Each car is usually slightly different than the next, so what fits on one may or may not fit on another without rubbing etc. It seems like simple insurance to me.

Here's a link that shows an example of how to use the tool.
http://tunertools.com/articles/Wheel-Fitment.asp

·
Registered
11 Posts
wheels

Hey jag66.a mopar nut friend of mine has the same tire on his 65 baracuda.i tried one on my car and it fit in the wheel tub nice.all i did was shave down the snubber.it has a bit of a buldge but it looks ok.i was afraid an 8" rim might rub!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bolted up a set of 20x8's with a 5" backspace to my 65 without any rubbing. I will admit, there's about a 1/4" between the tire and the fender lip. I was running a BFGoodrich KDW 225/30 for a tire. There are pics if you follow the link in my sig. below.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts