Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 65 rear end to build for my 63 hardtop because I currently have a 67 camaro rearend and it only allows a 195 max tire, and I'm trying go get the widest size tire on my nova without any huge modification, plan on building up the 65 rear end to a limited slip 336 ratio,
So wondering what is the widest I can acheive with the 65 rearend? And with hat back spacing, eventually want to run 18s all around or 17s in from and 18s incre back and advice would be greatly appreciated !! Thanks

Esteban mejia

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
7"wide wheel with a 5" backspace you can get a 225-245 wide tire depending on the aspect ratio of the tire. A 65 rear is the same width as a stock 63 so you are at stock dimensions and these are safe measurements from what i have seen

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking into buying a 65 rear end to build for my 63 hardtop because I currently have a 67 camaro rearend and it only allows a 195 max tire, and I'm trying go get the widest size tire on my nova without any huge modification, plan on building up the 65 rear end to a limited slip 336 ratio,
So wondering what is the widest I can acheive with the 65 rearend? And with hat back spacing, eventually want to run 18s all around or 17s in from and 18s incre back and advice would be greatly appreciated !! Thanks

Esteban mejia

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7"wide wheel with a 5" backspace you can get a 225-245 wide tire depending on the aspect ratio of the tire. A 65 rear is the same width as a stock 63 so you are at stock dimensions and these are safe measurements from what i have seen
Awesome thanks for the advice I just wasn't sure if they 65 rear ends were longer and if I could achieve atleast a 235 tire back there with the right offset, that's my goal 235/40-45 18R

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would think that just by putting a narrower rearend will not change the clearance of your tires. it would change the back spacing for your rims. but the tub the tire fits in should still be the same.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think that just by putting a narrower rearend will not change the clearance of your tires. it would change the back spacing for your rims. but the tub the tire fits in should still be the same.
It should considering the camaro measures 60" backing plate to baking plate and I just found out the nova rear ends are closer to 56-57? Im just trying to find out what people have been able to get away with in the 1st gen novas with an 18r wheel and with what back spacing, I have 195/65 15r all the way around and barely clear in the back with a 4.5 backspacing ,but plan for 17s up front and 18 out back,

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Correct the width of the rear end has no affect on the size of the tire only the backspace of the wheels. Biggest I can get is a 235 on a 17 x 8 wheel this is with a rear end that has been narrowed one inch on each side.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Nothing will rub when the rear is that high
X2...I end up going through this with friends/customers every few years. 4.5 backspacing usually does not work if you intend to tuck a 7 in. wide rear wheel/225+ tire inside the rear fender lip on a first gen with a factory width rear housing. Here is 65nova4door's (Lyndon) car after he had his wheels modified for more backspacing (I think his rear wheels are now just shy of 5 in. BS), and he still has a little inner fender rub. He too originally had 4.5 in BS wheels and I had to drop his chassis down onto the wheel/tires while he was in my shop to prove to him how it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
With the right back spaced 7" rims- 4.50", and the stock width rear, you should be able to fit 235's, no problem, but each car can vary. If you went too wide for the inside, the tire will rub on the leaf spring before it will rub the inside inner wheel well. I think the rear width is 58" drum to drum face for a stock 1st gen Nova.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
X2...I end up going through this with friends/customers every few years. 4.5 backspacing usually does not work if you intend to tuck a 7 in. wide rear wheel/225+ tire inside the rear fender lip on a first gen with a factory width rear housing. Here is 65nova4door's (Lyndon) car after he had his wheels modified for more backspacing (I think his rear wheels are now just shy of 5 in. BS), and he still has a little inner fender rub. He too originally had 4.5 in BS wheels and I had to drop his chassis down onto the wheel/tires while he was in my shop to prove to him how it wouldn't work.

Yeah my nova sits just as low as yours so to say, i think running a 4.75''-5'' backspacing with an 18R 235 sounds do-able to tuck a 235/40-45, and if its possible ill be happy with that if not then i guess ill settle for a 225:(

·
Registered
852 Posts

Esteban mejia
I have a set of 18's in back of my 65 they are 4 3/4 backspace and I fit a 225 /45/18 with LS disc brake swap not much room left

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm with Vin... tire size on a 15x7, 4.5" BS wheel is a little iffy. I had 225/60R15s on that wheel size, and I had very *minor* rubbing on one side. Nothing you could really percieve, but I could see light rub marks on the tire. Clearance was tight in the "static" condition.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Awesome thanks for the advice I just wasn't sure if they 65 rear ends were longer and if I could achieve atleast a 235 tire back there with the right offset, that's my goal 235/40-45 18R
I hav a 235x45x17 on the rear of my wifes wagon on a 17x7 with 4.75 back spacing:yes:

·
4,535 Posts
I have 235/60/15 on the back of my 65 with 4.5 BS and no rubbing.

You also are running disc brakes in the rear which makes the rear about 1/2" wider. so if running drum brakes may want to go 4.75" bs or 4.5"bs with a thin spacer (I don't like running spacers though)

Miles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts