Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '66 sedan that i plan on mini tubbing and dropping in a narrowed 9". My question is what is the widest tire can i stuff under the back with just moving the leaf springs. I dont want to use a fuel cell or anything like that. i want to keep my stock fuel tank. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i should probably mention that i am setting it up as a pro touring car, so i am looking to use somewhere in the neighborhood of 17-20" wheels if possible.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
If you're just going to move the springs in and not tub the car then I would measure the wheelhouse. That will tell you how much space you have and how much meat you can stuff into it without issue.

Off the top of my head I would say that the largest you could fit without tubbing the car would be a 8" wheel which, I would think, would mean that you couldn't run anything wider than a 275 tire.

Again, you need to measure the wheelhouse to get an exact number. Each of our cars are off a little from the other as Chevy didn't have the exacting standards that they have today.

John

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
On a 15 inch wheel you can go 8 inch with 4 1/2 inch back space (no tubbing)
if you trim the fender lip some with a 275 50 nitto tire, They say you can go bigger since you want to go 17 , something to do with the bulge of the tire makes it possible, No matter what you go with measure it well to make sure before you buy, Good luck and post some pics when you decide:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Or you could do what Tuckin20s did & move the front hangers in 2" with CE subframe connectors, along with a tub to the frame rails, & he's running 20x10 back there... There's some info about it somewhere on here...
I tried:)

GL!

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Or you could do what Tuckin20s did & move the front hangers in 2" with CE subframe connectors, along with a tub to the frame rails, & he's running 20x10 back there... There's some info about it somewhere on here...
I tried:)

GL!
There ya go! Even better would be to PM Tuckin20s and ask him directly as to how he was able to run 20's on his ride without rubbing!:yes:

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts