Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a mouse nest in my car a little while back, and finally got a chance to get to it. They moved into the heater under the dash, so I had to take the whole thing out (and the glovebox...and the glovebox door) to get it cleaned out. That brought me face to face with a little modification that I had forgotten about.

Whywhywhy #1

Some previous owner decided to block off the heater (fresh air inlet?) duct. Why?!?!?! I can understand removing the heater (it was gone when I got the car) to save weight, but...why bother cutting out the ducting and plugging the hole?!?!? Can someone post a picture of what is supposed to be here? Is it a separate piece that I can get (cut?) off a parts car?

Whywhywhy #2

Because the heater doesn't seal against any ducting, it's open at the top. The little @*#&$(@#&[email protected] mice grabbed a bunch of seat stuffing and made a cozy home inside. After cleaning out the big wad of fuzz in the main part, it looks like they didn't stop at the main area. They made a two bedroom apartment, so now I have to disassemble the heater in order to get to the rest of the crap they packed away... I see a bunch of disassembly in my future.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I don't know 2nd gens very well. But if they are anything like 62-5's you should be able to drill out those rivits and possibly find some bolt holes under there.

On a 1st gen the coupler from the heater to the underdash is bolted in and can be easily removed.

If they end up being the same, I have one for ya.;)

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NIGHTSHADE said:
I don't know 2nd gens very well. But if they are anything like 62-5's you should be able to drill out those rivits and possibly find some bolt holes under there.

On a 1st gen the coupler from the heater to the underdash is bolted in and can be easily removed.

If they end up being the same, I have one for ya.;)
But it is a 1st gen! It's a 64 SS!!! 1st gens rule!

I'll drill out the rivets and take a look underneath. if the coupler is a separate piece, that makes a little more sense as to why it's missing. Depending on what I find underneath, I may be in touch with you about that coupler...

Pat

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
GeeGolly, now I feel down right stupid. I was a looking at yon avatar and thought for sure it wasn't. And with out most recent dealings............DUH!!!

Not like it says it in your signature or anything easy to see like that!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
MMMM, MMMMM I can almost smell the mouse urine now.
IMO thats the REAL problem with mice in the car..:mad: ..you can clean out the nest, restuff the seats, etc, etc...but if they pis*ed all over the place, like they tend to do, the car might just have a mousey smell for years...I had the same problem with my nova and the only way I was able to get rid of it was to gut the interior and file thirteen anything made out of fabric:mad: :mad: ...FREAKING mice....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
When I disassembled the wagon, a 2x2 foot section in the rear of the ceiling (the hollow area when the bows are) was filled with neating material. I saw it sagging, but though it was just age. Instead it was a couple pounds of seat padding, leaves, and who knows what.

Even with a shop vac, that was some nasty stuff.

...and hear I thought I was just smelling anti-freeze ?!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NIGHTSHADE said:
Here's what you need.
That looks like it! Check your PM!

I drilled the rivets out of the patch cover (all 15 of them...) and other than some pine needles and leaves that fell out, everything looks to be in decent shape. A bit of vacuuming, some grinding and a bit of MIGging up the rivet holes, and I should be back in business.

While we're on this topic, how the *#@([email protected] do you get access to that cowl vent area to clean it out? Seems like it's all welded up tight. Hafta get the air compressor out I guess...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts