Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a reason you should fog and engine then back the valve lash off so the valve close. This car was stored in a heated garage for about 6 yrs but condensation creeps into everything anyways. Look at the plugs inside

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
this thread and the fuel system threads should go together...
both excellent examples of what to do/what NOT to do when storing a car "long term" :yes:

i have a feeling you have your work cut out for you Joe. :( ;)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I thought maybe that it was some of that new fangled text abbreviation stuff? RICK

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Lightly misting some light grade oil or ATF thru the carb while running and then taking out the spark plugs and shooting some in there as well while turning over engine.

It's been a long time, but I remember seeing some pieces that screw into the spark plug holes and they would absorb moisture. I believe they also had green-red indicators to show when to change. Don't even know if they still make them or not.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fogging a motor is putting oil down the carb so the cyl and runners get oiled up. They actually make fogging oil for outboard motors to store them. Then if you back the lash off and close the valves nothing can get inside to mess things up much.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Fogging a motor is putting oil down the carb so the cyl and runners get oiled up. They actually make fogging oil for outboard motors to store them. Then if you back the lash off and close the valves nothing can get inside to mess things up much.
Plus the valve springs stay happy.:D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked all the valve springs on the right side of the motor and they are all between 210 and 240 on the seat. I would think that is probably about where they should be for this motor so being open 6 yrs hasn't hurt them apparently. But I bet the cast intake seats ain't happy.....LOL.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I checked all the valve springs on the right side of the motor and they are all between 210 and 240 on the seat. I would think that is probably about where they should be for this motor so being open 6 yrs hasn't hurt them apparently. But I bet the cast intake seats ain't happy.....LOL.
Those probably being a good brand of spring. I doubt some cheapies or old stock ones would have held up as good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts