Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
this is very much a newbie question but I've been looking into getting an manual overdrive tranny for my 62 with a 250ci and PG tranny. after looking for a little while I have basically found ether I could find one of the old three speed Saginaw's with the solenoid type overdrive which I am not completely opposed to but I just want to make sure it is my only option. other than the old Saginaw I have only found really expensive options like the TKO which I am not even sure how difficult that would be to get into my 62. so getting to my question is I started thinking why cant I just get a used tranny out of a something like an 01 Silverado and put that in my 62, then I found that brand new they are only about $1300 from summit, I am pretty sure this doesn't work because I would think I would have found that someone had already done it but I would just like to know why? is it just that you would have a lot of modifications? I did look into for a sec and it appears that the bellhousing would work but I know there are many other considerations.
thanks for the help

here is the link to the Silverado tranny

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
286 Posts
hey guys
this is very much a newbie question but I've been looking into getting an manual overdrive tranny for my 62 with a 250ci and PG tranny. after looking for a little while I have basically found ether I could find one of the old three speed Saginaw's with the solenoid type overdrive which I am not completely opposed to but I just want to make sure it is my only option. other than the old Saginaw I have only found really expensive options like the TKO which I am not even sure how difficult that would be to get into my 62. so getting to my question is I started thinking why cant I just get a used tranny out of a something like an 01 Silverado and put that in my 62, then I found that brand new they are only about $1300 from summit, I am pretty sure this doesn't work because I would think I would have found that someone had already done it but I would just like to know why? is it just that you would have a lot of modifications? I did look into for a sec and it appears that the bellhousing would work but I know there are many other considerations.
thanks for the help

here is the link to the Silverado tranny
There is a $400 core charge too

·
Registered
844 Posts
a couple things I noticed..
One is the integral bellhousing, may make installation a real pain.
Two is a truck trans like that is typically pretty fat, it is likely to not fit under the stock floor just like a Tremec TKO has problems doing.
Third is it comes with no shifter nor any of the hydrailic clutch.throwout bearing parts(integral bellhousing will have no fork provision).
Fourth, you'll have to fab a new trans crossmember.

And finally, Five - did you miss the $400 core charge too....now it is a $1650 trans if you don't have a core.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that is what I though just a bunch of little things that add up thanks for the info guys.
yeah I new about the core charge but OD tranies are just so expensive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts