Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is more of a curiosity question but I’m just wondering why are there two colors of the 1st gen shield l6 fender emblems, was it that the red ones were for the nova 400 and the black ones were for the other models

·
13,727 Posts
This is a question that has been asked many times and a definitive answer has yet to surface. My Nova 400 had black, so that theory is sidelined. Seems they just had two colors for these emblems. Not unusual to have this kind of anomaly in the sixties. Same discussion exists with the background color on the 1966 trunk plate SS emblem. Some are chrome, others are black.

Bob

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The ones I had on my 64SS where red like the glove box. I think the NON SS where black?

·
Registered
990 Posts
The red ones were on the 62 Novas. GM part number is 3791536. There were no engine call outs on 62 100 and 300 models. The black ones were on the 63 Novas and were part number 3827151. Not sure if they were used on the 63 and later 100 and 300.

·
13,727 Posts
This debate will continue on, I guess. There's a white beater '62 Nova 400 convertible in my area with black callouts on it's rusted front fenders. Don't think they've ever been replaced. I've also seen another white '62 Nova 400 convertible with red emblems, so who knows! May even have been a difference between Canadian and U.S. built cars.

The showroom brochure shows engine callouts on the 1962 Chevy II 300 and Nova 400, but none on the 100 series. 1963 had them on Nova 400 only.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Let's confuse the issue even more. I have a '62 convertible that had (and still has) the 6 badges, and they were originally red, as was the background to the Nova script emblems on the car. I also own a VERY original, never painted '63 100 series wagon with black 6 emblems on the front fenders. Maybe it's particular to where they were built, or the time of year?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I never would have thought that this wasn’t already known but it seem so random I assumed the the 400s had red because I think it would look weird to have theblack 6 with the red nova400 quarter panel emblem but maybe not

·
13,727 Posts
Let's confuse the issue even more. I have a '62 convertible that had (and still has) the 6 badges, and they were originally red, as was the background to the Nova script emblems on the car. I also own a VERY original, never painted '63 100 series wagon with black 6 emblems on the front fenders. Maybe it's particular to where they were built, or the time of year?
You're right, Frank. Every time we get on this engine emblem subject it gets more confusing :). The GM Heritage Center information packages on 1962 and 1963 Chevy IIs states that the engine
identification emblem was found on 'all six cylinder models. Does that mean just the Nova models where sixes were standard, or including models where it could be ordered as an option? You might be right about time of year, production plant or Canada vs. U.S. They were also known to sometimes use parts on following year models until they were used up. All kinds of scenarios with almost no way to sort out what really occurred.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts