Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
13,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been for sale for months. Bidding struggles to get to $27,000. Pictures cover a thousand sins, but overall seems like a nice, rare 1968 L79 Nova. Only 1274 built.
Engine appears to be original with correct partial VIN. BIN of $34,990 is same as dealer is asking.

Bob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not there end of the world and likely not the "stop sign" people are seeing but neither door has been fitted correctly.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
x2 on the plain Jane look. I also happen to like the color a lot, but it isn't popular with muscle car guys. It could be that buyers are ignorant about '68 L79 cars, thinking that the owner has misrepresented his car. I think it's a helluva lot of fun for the money and not a slouch with those options. No pictures of the engine compartment help not at all.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Their website says it's a 275hp 327

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Still no slouch. No big block, but a low mile 4-speed car that would be a ton of fun. L79 would be the 325 HP.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Hard to tell. After 1967 I don't know values well, and rarity doesn't always equate to a high price. But on condition, rarity and the fun of a hot small block and 4-speed, that should get some good money. Again, assuming the body is rust-free and has no damage (a BIG assumption), then I'm guessing mid-20's. '68 is a bit of an odd year (a plus for me) and you'd have to compare the price to an equivalent '69 350/300 4-speed, or something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
This car was bid to $27,501 on BaT back in May. I think that the fact that it's not a big block is the problem - and that lack of cachet may mean that the high $20k bracket is all the money for these cars in this goofy economy. I like the car - but then, I like green cars in general - and wouldn't mind having it; but I'm not 3rd gen shopping!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it is to much money, It would need a lot of UPGRADEs to be a street contender. Suspention, A/C, More HP and TQ, Overdrive trans to drive on the freeway and lets not forget about Upgrading the Brakes. But thats just me.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I see lots of pictures but its shy on details; also has a 700.00 dealer document fee.

·
13,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you think the L79 car is worth? The auction says best offer.
Well, I think the first thing is to forget about trying to compare anything about the 1968 L79 with the 1966 model. 1968 was heavier, slower and offered little in the way of visual or mechanical excitement. Being old enough to remember the '68 introduction, there was across the board unhappiness that there was no hardtop. Also, that the Super Sport was an option package again and was bare bones in many ways...no bucket seats, console, etc. All this stuff had to be purchased as additional options. A further upset was the fact you couldn't even get the 1968 L79 in an SS optioned car. Then there was the pending big block. Lots of buyers waited for it, but were disappointed when they couldn't get one (just over 900 built in '68) and the L34 350 HP version was actually slightly slower than a comparably equipped L79. The 1968 L79 wasn't promoted and isn't even mentioned my 1968 showroom brochure. All in all, a sad last year for the L79 Chevy II.

Today, the 1968 L79 just isn't a 'must have' car for most people. They still want a '66 L79 or one of the 3rd generation' big blocks. As Dave mentions above, it could only get to $27,500 on BAT a few months ago. The plain white '66 L79 100 series on eBay right now has a $49K BIN. I think someone could score this '68 L79 for high twenties or low thirties and be proud to drive a rare, seldom seen 3rd generation muscle car.

Bob

·
13,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back on eBay at $32,000. If this keeps up, someone is going to get a heck of a deal.

B.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I like that car but its just not worth the asking price

BUT--------------------

My grandson wants my 68, my son already has a 68. Wow - 3 generations with 68's

1 - 20 of 25 Posts