Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been having a mechanic do my alignment, and after a week of driving, im still getting wear on my tires on the edges. the car still pulls a bit to the right. the wheels are tilted like this: / \ with the drivers side leaning in the most. this is my 3rd time trying to align it with this mechanic. he hasent been charging me after the 1st time, but this is my 2nd pair of tires in 3 weeks. is my mechanic a no good? does anyone have a problem with their alignment? i have upper control arm shafts, AR torque thrust II rims. Its a 69 nova.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
My suggestion is find another alignment shop. When done properly by someone who knows what he is doing , these front ends hold the alignment quite well. Remember this is not modern design but they do work well when properly set up.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Something is worn out--have you bothered to check ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, etc........? I can't believe your alignment guy wouldn't check things first.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything was redone. when i drive it away from the shop, the wheels are straight. it didnt pull as much to the right, but as the week went on it got worse and my tires got worn. im gettin in fixed again next monday, if its still messed up, i gotta find another guy. hes been in buisness for years, and i would hope he knows what hes doin. im just so sick of buying tires.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It's not the alignment. Just because wvwrything in the front was redone, dosen't mean it's right. Something is wrong with your suspension. Find another mechanic/alignment shop to look at it for you. I've had brand new balljoints installed that were bad from the get go, so you need to have it checked really good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm just goin to repeat what everyone else is saying, Go to a different alignment shop! A good shop will check the suspension before they ever set the alignment. If the top of the tire is leaning to the inside of the wheel well, check your upper control arm. It could be a bad ball joint, control arm bushings, loose bolt or nut holding the arm to the frame, or the shims are gone. I hope you figure it out soon!:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
It could also be your tires, they wear a certain way before hand, they may try to wear the same way again.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
it is quite possible that his machine doesn't have specs for that old of a car. Some software only goes back to 1980. If he's an experienced alignment tech he should be able to use the "custom" or "manual" feature and use his own specs. If he can align a standard A arm suspension he can do that car. His machine could need some recalibration too.

Camber and Caster do not have an effect on tire wear but Toe does. Toe has to be way off for it to chew up tires that fast. Check all the steering components, especially the steering box. It can be adjusted.

I did an alignment on a saturn years ago and all I did was set the toe. car came back 2 weeks later and tires were almost bald!!!! the machine was not calibrated correctly and it gave me false readings. I had to redo the alignment and verify it with a tape measure.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Camber and Caster do not have an effect on tire wear
Excuse me? You can't possibly be serious! You don't think having the camber splayed out like a slammed VW bug is going to affect the tire wear?
Maybe you better go back and rethink your statement before handing out advice.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I agree, find a reputable shop. Took my car into the alignment shop this morning. Same shop has been there for 40+ years, mechanic Randy has been working on older cars the whole time.

These guys are great, let me hang out and talk cars. It's really cool to see even the simplest lift mechanism, to get the front tires up, check wheel movement, etc.

Before he even lifted the front, Randy says my rear is 3/4" off. So that right there is gonna screw everything up. He wants to get rid of my poly spring pads and install rubber. Parts will be in this afternoon. So I'm gonna leave the car there this evening and get it back tomorrow with the chassis in tip top form. Gotta start from the back, make sure the car is square. Hopefully, the rubber pads will eliminate some problems with movement in the rear. With the back out just a bit, you will always be pulling something off center in the front.

I didn't have one of my tie rod end couplers tightened up and he was pretty upset with me saying it could have been a catastrophe.

·
Registered
810 Posts
camber is way off if there tilted in like that. check the controll arm bushings closely ive seen ones that looked good be completely shot upon inspection.Also make sure the frame horns havent sucked in. they make a special offset controll arm shaft to help offset it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just went through the same thing with my 73. Turned out that the lower control arm bushings were junk and he never checked for that after doing the alignment twice. I put bushings in it and got it 200% better with a caster camber guage and a ruler.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It is possible a stud from a balljoint or tierod maybe bent or out of center, this would allow for an alignment to change without being easily detected.

·
Registered
599 Posts
make sure control arm bushings are pressed in all the way and have not backed out ,this happened to my 67SS. mechanic set everything to specs and tightened everything down ,then rechecked specs and alignment would be out. front end parts were checked first. mechanic had 35 years exp. aligning front ends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts