Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Behind the back rest to the rear seat on my 70 nova are multiple holes in the metal...

...why? And what will happen if I cover them with heat shield / sound deadener?

·
Registered
198 Posts
There was a cardboard panel installed behind the rear seat in the factory, probably to hide the springs and innards of the seat back from view in the trunk. The only reason I can think of for the panel not being solid is to keep the weight down without compromising structural integrity. These cars make great bracket racers because they are so light.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,388 Posts
No purpose, cover them. There's also the circle/square holes in the middle of the package shelf. Those are for an electric defroster if you had one. It can be covered too.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When we did my car I put a replacement divider in to make it look like it did when new from the back.

Inside the car I put Hush Mat from the upper firewall area all the way to the rear glass. I put it over the cardboard divider on the inside. It doesn't matter how hot it gets outside I car run my AC very low and still cool the car.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
those holes are made into the stamping to hold the raw stamping in correct place as it moves thru a multi station stamping die. that's just my guess i may be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts