Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to super chevy show on saturday in Fontana I swear it was a rip-off. There were only about 50-60 cars on display. For the $22 they charged I was very upset. I dont think I will attend another show of theres. Any one else go to the show?:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
i was there. Sunday was a better day. More cars showed up. To me $22 is worth it just to watch the races.

If you're not into the races, then I could see you being disappointed. the Fontana location has never brought a big show car crowd for Super Chevy shows. Nothing like it was at Pomona.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Well I don't think I'll be back, I thought it was suppose to be better than last year, I still think they need a better venue :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
the venue kills the car show attendence.

the drag racing was alot better than last year. Some guys got 8-9 runs on Saturday.

Unfortunetly the promoter doesn't want to spend the money for Pomona, and lets face it there's no better solutions for Drag strip locations in So-Cal.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
wow, this sounds ALMOST like last year. glad i sad this one out.

on the other hand i'm glad some good racing was happening. last years event must have scared a few people off. me included...

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
the venue kills the car show attendence.

the drag racing was alot better than last year. Some guys got 8-9 runs on Saturday.

Unfortunetly the promoter doesn't want to spend the money for Pomona, and lets face it there's no better solutions for Drag strip locations in So-Cal.
What about Bakersfield??

It was at bakersfield in the past, but it's not a great location either. It would be good for the races, but not for the show cars.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
It was there in the past, and I don't think it's any better than Fontana.
I think Fontana is a ton better then Bakersfield. Every thing at Bakersfield is DIRT:eek: I had a great time this weekend. The line to get in was great the Drag Racing was great saw a lot of members:yes::D
PS thanks (Joe) VooDooII :yes::D

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I rarely go near the car show areas, but the facility at Fontana could hold what--50,000 cars--what's wrong with the facility other than the way it is being utilized?
Bakersfield didn't seem to be lacking anything at this year's March Meet, but yes, it is a little dusty. Come check out Dragfest this year; it won't be quite as dirty as the March Meet, and there will be a lot more bimbos!
Irwindale is missing half the length of it's strip, but it never lacks for show cars at the Mooneyes or VW events. The problem there is having to share the pits with the racers.
Pomona would be ideal, but with the people that run Super Ch...OOPS!, I forgot, you have to be careful that their legal department doesn't see this. Gustin and his band of bufoons threatened legal action against me for using the name to describe where I shot the photos during my last visit to his circus.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I rarely go near the car show areas, but the facility at Fontana could hold what--50,000 cars--what's wrong with the facility other than the way it is being utilized?
Bakersfield didn't seem to be lacking anything at this year's March Meet, but yes, it is a little dusty. Come check out Dragfest this year; it won't be quite as dirty as the March Meet, and there will be a lot more bimbos!
Irwindale is missing half the length of it's strip, but it never lacks for show cars at the Mooneyes or VW events. The problem there is having to share the pits with the racers.
Pomona would be ideal, but with the people that run Super Ch...OOPS!, I forgot, you have to be careful that their legal department doesn't see this. Gustin and his band of bufoons threatened legal action against me for using the name to describe where I shot the photos during my last visit to his circus.
Fontana would be better if it was laid out better. It's just as dirty as bakersweed though.

Pomona was perfect, the promoter just won't pay the price. irwindale would be good, but I don't think it has enough room, and being 1/8th mile would probably cut down on race attendance.

Either way. I have a good time. It's close to my house, and I always have a lot of friends there, so it's a hang out as much as a carshow.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I was persuaded to go by my friend Rich La Grasta (on this site). He has the yellow '75 Nova SS. It was great being able to park next to him and visit again. I probably won't make that drive again, because I'm just too stubborn to change out those gears!!! :no: Good seeing all you guys too.:yes:
Joe C.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was persuaded to go by my friend Rich La Grasta (on this site). He has the yellow '75 Nova SS. It was great being able to park next to him and visit again. I probably won't make that drive again, because I'm just too stubborn to change out those gears!!! :no: Good seeing all you guys too.:yes:
Joe C.
I spoke to Rich a little at the car show sunday...I love the history he has with his car! Congrats on your class win!

We had a great time at the show as usual. They opened the gates earlier on friday wich made getting in much easier. We had the 62 4 door 4 cylender in the show, and the 64 chevyII in the DOT class. Maybe some of you saw me break it on saturday...snapped the rear u joint and yoke on launch. I missed the true street challenge because of that, what a bummer. We had it back together by that afternoon, but there were no more runs that day. I made a pass on sunday and got eliminated. :rolleyes: Oh well thats racing. We will be back next year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The racing was well worth the price of addmission,but I think the magizine and its shows have seen better days.Too many chiefs and not enough indians.Next year I think ill fill up my gas tank and take the kids on a cruz instead of waste my money on a dying venue:(.Bring it back to Pomona!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
The racing was well worth the price of addmission,but I think the magizine and its shows have seen better days.Too many chiefs and not enough indians.Next year I think ill fill up my gas tank and take the kids on a cruz instead of waste my money on a dying venue:(.Bring it back to Pomona!
Just for the record. The magazine has nothing to do with the show. the promoter buys the rights to use the name.

But I do agree, both have seen better days.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Just for the record. The magazine has nothing to do with the show. the promoter buys the rights to use the name.

But I do agree, both have seen better days.
Is the right to use the name a yer to year thing or a multi year contract?

If it's year to year, have they thought of maybe looking for a new promoter?
One that wont reflect poorly on the magazine.

I'm remember back in the 80's, going to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals at Pomona and that place was packed.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Is the right to use the name a yer to year thing or a multi year contract?

If it's year to year, have they thought of maybe looking for a new promoter?
One that wont reflect poorly on the magazine.

I'm remember back in the 80's, going to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals at Pomona and that place was packed.
I'm not sure how the contract is done. I'm sure it's multi-year.

We don't shop the name. If they did'nt buy it, it would'nt be used. The only thing the magazine gets is editorial coverage, and feature cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts