Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Henry am currently living in Chicago, though I was born and raised in NYC. I run a coffee shop on the Near West Side (we open for the first time on Friday, July 6th!) and I am going back to school to study restaurant management at Cornell in January.

I've been into cars since I was in 6th grade when a family friend got me my first subscription to Car & Driver as a birthday gift. As a kid I read the articles from start to finish and started to understand brands and types of cars. I started to try and name every car I saw from Toyotas to Zondas and I was always telling my parents about cars we passed on the street and kept reading as much as I could in every C&D issue.

Sadly living in NYC it took me a long time to actually get my license, but when I did driving became one of my favorite ways to relax and enjoy myself. I started to pay more attention to performance and handling, and I started to love cars even more.

I'll skip to the important part now: one month ago I bought my 1970 Nova sedan with the original 350 V8 and a 3speed automatic. It is my first car, which many have told me is a terrible idea, but I am so drawn to classic muscle cars that I'm willing to deal with the impracticality.

I've started on the first stage of restoring/improving the car by replacing the stock manifold and carb with an Edelbrock Performance manifold and a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm. I'm putting Hooker Headers and Magnaflow cat back on for exhaust, checking all the wiring, then calling it a day until the next step.

I'll be posting lots of questions on this forum, so I'm sure you'll hear more from me (I've already thrown out a call for help with my transmission). I'm looking forward to a long and exciting relationship with my Nova and I couldn't be happier with my first car!

Cheers

PS. The quote below is from one of my favorite Quintin Tarantino movie "Death Proof," which stars an absolutely sinister '70 Nova

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
welcome......if the car you have makes you happy,then thats the car for you:yes:

·
14,588 Posts
Henry, welcome to Steves. Be sure to ask any question you might have as their are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to help.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Welcome to Steves!

Good to see the younger generation continuing the tradition of restoring/modifying old muscle cars.

Just a suggestion but try and figure out how and where you will be driving the car most. If the car will be seeing the track more than just occasionally it will take a different build plan than a street cruiser. Put your plan together and then execute it. This seems to be the best way to build a car that I've found.

Don't forget to plan in how you're going to put your new found power to the ground. Many first timers don't realize that suspension is a crucial component in getting the overall performance you are looking for.

Good luck and don't be shy. Ask a lot of questions. We'll try and answer them the best we can.:)

John

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
:welcome: to the site !!! Glad you joined the forum & looking forward to your posts. :thumbsup:

Aloha, Ric

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
TO SNS HENRY, :waving:

:pics:
GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US, ENJOY THE SITE! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts