Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm have in luck finding out how many years it takes for a car to fall out of dmv's system.i've heard it takes five years.anyone know for sure?

i also heard that if you try to register a car that has gone off the system,that it will have a salvage title.is this true?

reason i ask,is my wagon i bought hasn't been registered since april 2004 and it will cost around $450 just to get it to current.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
I dont know how long it takes. I my 63 was in the system last time I checked and it was last registered in 93, so for 15 years the stupid thing still has not dropped out. But then again I had the DMV check on it every couple of years, I wonder if that flags them that its still around.

· Registered
686 Posts
It's my understanding they don't drop out anymore.

They are absolutely ruthless to collect too. They tried to attach my wages here in AZ because I failed to notify them I left the state with the car (They had the correct address though :( ) and they figured I still owed them.

You haven't received any notice of lien against your tax refund or wages?

· Registered
1,094 Posts
I've heard 5, but think it's 7...

if it's non-op that counts as in the system, it needs to be nothing paid for 7 years.... so any outstanding fees get dropped and it comes back into the system as a fresh car, no late fees, only the normal fee, think it's like $60

and no they do not salvage the title....

one thing that I have also heard is that a phone call inqury counts as activity on that car, so it starts your 7 yrs over again (not sure if this is true)

· Registered
247 Posts
my nova fell out of the system.....i just had to take it to dmv and have it inspected....and they added it back to the system...and i didnt have to pay back fees.....and :no:no they didnt give it salvage title...:devil:

· Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard 5, but think it's 7...

if it's non-op that counts as in the system, it needs to be nothing paid for 7 years.... so any outstanding fees get dropped and it comes back into the system as a fresh car, no late fees, only the normal fee, think it's like $60

and no they do not salvage the title....

one thing that I have also heard is that a phone call inqury counts as activity on that car, so it starts your 7 yrs over again (not sure if this is true)
well i called dmv about a month ago and gave them the vin # to see how much it would cost to register it.so i guess my 7 years is starting over.

maybe i can have a friend register it out of state in their name first and not have to pay the back registration.then act like he sold it to me and register it here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.