Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm have in luck finding out how many years it takes for a car to fall out of dmv's system.i've heard it takes five years.anyone know for sure?

i also heard that if you try to register a car that has gone off the system,that it will have a salvage title.is this true?

reason i ask,is my wagon i bought hasn't been registered since april 2004 and it will cost around $450 just to get it to current.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I dont know how long it takes. I my 63 was in the system last time I checked and it was last registered in 93, so for 15 years the stupid thing still has not dropped out. But then again I had the DMV check on it every couple of years, I wonder if that flags them that its still around.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's my understanding they don't drop out anymore.

They are absolutely ruthless to collect too. They tried to attach my wages here in AZ because I failed to notify them I left the state with the car (They had the correct address though :( ) and they figured I still owed them.

You haven't received any notice of lien against your tax refund or wages?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've heard 5, but think it's 7...

if it's non-op that counts as in the system, it needs to be nothing paid for 7 years.... so any outstanding fees get dropped and it comes back into the system as a fresh car, no late fees, only the normal fee, think it's like $60

and no they do not salvage the title....

one thing that I have also heard is that a phone call inqury counts as activity on that car, so it starts your 7 yrs over again (not sure if this is true)

·
Registered
247 Posts
my nova fell out of the system.....i just had to take it to dmv and have it inspected....and they added it back to the system...and i didnt have to pay back fees.....and :no:no they didnt give it salvage title...:devil:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I do not know if this is true or not today. It use to be when the car falls off of the DMV records SO does the plates. DMV would then issue new plates with the new title.

B

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard 5, but think it's 7...

if it's non-op that counts as in the system, it needs to be nothing paid for 7 years.... so any outstanding fees get dropped and it comes back into the system as a fresh car, no late fees, only the normal fee, think it's like $60

and no they do not salvage the title....

one thing that I have also heard is that a phone call inqury counts as activity on that car, so it starts your 7 yrs over again (not sure if this is true)
well i called dmv about a month ago and gave them the vin # to see how much it would cost to register it.so i guess my 7 years is starting over.

maybe i can have a friend register it out of state in their name first and not have to pay the back registration.then act like he sold it to me and register it here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts