Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! so is the vortec head that good? any photos of tricked out ones?

also what cams work well with these heads? im planning on useing a rpm air gap

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I tried to run Vortec heads.. they just sat there, would not eat... over all they just laid there and never moved.. I took them back to the guy I got them from.. he said they were real runners.... shoot they were the laziest thing next to "OL" duke I ever owned

Singed

Jethro Bodine

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am running them on my 69 c-10.

I have not time slips yet.But after a few passes down the road.(I live on a dead end street with one other house)It feels very very strong...

The combo is a stock bottom end 350.Stock but rebuilt vortecs,Performer RPM,lunati bracket master with .458 lift.218 duration @ .050.MSD street fire hei,hedman 1 5/8 headers,2.5 inch duals into hooker aerochambers.

I've read all kinds of things about valve seal to retainer clearance with cams over .450 lift.Well believe it or not I installed the heads on my motor with a cam that had .490 lift.And it didn't hit.I talked with another guy who claims to be have been running a cam with over .500 with no problems.When I installed my new cam I "visually"Inspected the seal to retainer clearance.It looked to have between 3/16 and 1/4 inch of clearance still left.So I felt safe to run it.These heads have not been modified for the higher lift.

Pay close attention to the torque specs on the intake and the installation instructions.I would also recomend getting a set of edelbrock gaskets for the intake.On the first intake I had it didn't say anything about using only edelbrock gaskets.After trial and error and putting a bunch of water in my motor I called edelbrock and they told me to use there gaskets.Also my new intake has a biggo sticker on the front of the box that says "edelbrock gaskets highly recomended"

I like them.I have around 700 bucks in my topend and it seems to run great.Another thing I like about them is there a newer head so most of them are alot less worn than the old stuff that's been around for 30+ years.....

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I will be in a few weeks. I got a used set of 062s with Manley valves, screw in studs, LT4 springs (seat cut) and rockers for $300. I plan on putting them on my stock bottom end with an RPM intake and 268XE cam. Many people run either the 268XE or 274XE. I've got a 274XE here but my compression ratio will only work out to 9.3-9.5:1 so I'm going with the smaller of the two. These heads supposedly flow great and support up to 450-500 hp with ease.

I wasn't aware of the deal with the intake gaskets... I have a set of the FEL-PRO's ready to go now. Is that what you used, underatree?

·
Registered
733 Posts
WildbillyT...

When I called edelbrock about the gaskets the said there gaskets and a certain part # fel-pro will work.I just ordered there gaskets.I have installed 2 sets of there gaskets since then and have not had problems with either one...

EDL-7235 is the part # for there gaskets.Also they recomend using there gasgacinch.I have used it with success so far.

When I called edelbrock it only took about 5 minutes.And it could have saved me alot of headache....

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I have a 9.1:1 383 with bone stock vortec heads, .480 lift, 220 duration cam, dual plane Crosswind intake, 750 Holley DP, Hedman 1.5" tube chassis headers. The engine combo works great and my Nova runs in the low 12s all day long with no traction bars and drag radials. To me they are the best bang for the buck heads available.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
WildbillyT...

When I called edelbrock about the gaskets the said there gaskets and a certain part # fel-pro will work.I just ordered there gaskets.I have installed 2 sets of there gaskets since then and have not had problems with either one...

EDL-7235 is the part # for there gaskets.Also they recomend using there gasgacinch.I have used it with success so far.

When I called edelbrock it only took about 5 minutes.And it could have saved me alot of headache....
Yeah, I appreciate your help. I am going to check about the Fel-Pros with Edelbrock. They look really nice and thick and I'd rather not send them back to Summit if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
What's the casting number?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Those are the heads I have.(I thought they had three triangles?)

Anyway there a vortec 350 head.Good heads.Are they yours?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well there are a few different vortecs.There's a 305 version.And then a couple different 350 versions.I remember that some of the early vortecs.(906 casting)Had something in the exhaust runner I believe.Not all the 906 casting heads have them though....
12552520 is the 305 version of the head.Smaller chamber....

10239906...96-up...350.........."Vortec 5700", "L31", 64cc chamber,
170cc intake port, 1.94"/1.5" valves

12558062...98......350..........L31 Vortec, truck, 64cc chambers, 1.94/1.5, 170cc intake port

There basicly the same head.Really my truck has one 906 casting and one 062 casting on it.One of mine was cracked and I bought the 062 from the junkyard.The machine shop redid both and said there wasn't a difference.....

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm running 906's in my car. With an RPM Perf. intake and a hyd. roller cam .492/.492, .228/.228 110LSA it makes 400hp/400ft.lbs. torque. All I had done to them was to thread the studs and install Cam-Motion springs. Runs 12.30s all night long and is streetable enough to drive to the track and back.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
i`m about to under go a swap from a 307 to a vortec headed 350. Any of you all running your extra power acc such has AC,PS,PDB. I`m still looking at cam profiles as I want to keep my options,[see vacum]. I`m also going to install a 200R4 behind the 350 at the same time. :D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
i`m about to under go a swap from a 307 to a vortec headed 350. Any of you all running your extra power acc such has AC,PS,PDB. I`m still looking at cam profiles as I want to keep my options,[see vacum]. I`m also going to install a 200R4 behind the 350 at the same time. :D
PS and PDB here with a 700R4...AC this winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts