Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you hook up the rear drum brake circuit ?
Did you replace the line or did you find an adapter to tie in the original line to the combo valve?
Also how did you adapt the front circuit to use the 3/16 line that the combo valve has.

Looked all day on Saturday trying to find those 2 adapters with no luck.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I ran the line to the passenger fenderwell and then connected to the rear circuit

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did you toss the original blocks? Those are the only pieces you need from the original system. Other than that, it should have come with everything according to CPP.

I am in the process of putting my entire front end together after sand-blasting and repainting it again. Routing the new lines is on the list.

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CPP does not provide the adapters to reduce the lines to the combo valve.
You have to purchase them separately (4.50 each plus shipping).

I will end up running flex lines to the front, found tube bending a real pain,and a flex line and coupler to the rear brake.

·
Registered
681 Posts
CPP does not provide the adapters to reduce the lines to the combo valve.
You have to purchase them separately (4.50 each plus shipping).

I will end up running flex lines to the front, found tube bending a real pain,and a flex line and coupler to the rear brake.
Sorry, I didn't answer that correctly. Thanks for offering this, I'll order a set.

So the rears are right off the block, what about the front? The passenger side distribution block has 3 ports. Did you use all 3, or did you have to cap 1?

Thanks

DW

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My CPP power booster kit contained everything needed, though I have to admit I spent several hours at local parts store bins trying to figure it out. As I remember, leave existing line to right block. Unscrew right rear exit line and plug right block with plug provided. The plug may be screwed into supplied adapter and the adpater screwed on one of the new lines. (brillent job of hidding the parts CPP) After running new line from left to right (easier if you remove radiator), use supplied line to line adapter to hook up new line to exisiting rear line. On the Left side you should have gotten two new short lines to come off the proportioner. One goes to existing block. Second one goes to new line your routed to right side and has appropriate fitting. You now have (and need) two seperate fluid circuits. In my case I replaced all old lines to avoid rust or contamination of new cylinders. Its not that much more $ and worth the security.

Hardest part was the figuring it out the instructions and drilling hole in fire wall for new mount. Ooch!

New CPP Brakes work great. :) Had to remind myself they were not manual so I did not launch myself out the windshield.:eek:

If need you need some pics, send me a PM. You really should not be needing anything besides what they sent you. The instructions just suck air and its not intuitive - but it works well.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I never removed or added any blocks, I routed the new line from the proportioning valve to the passenger fenderwell block. I used the supplied plug to block one of the three outlets and then connected the new line to the block which then supplied fluid to the rear brakes using the original rear brake line. Everything was included in the kit, it took some figuring out and tech support was pretty much useless.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My kit did not come with anything but the Master cylinder, the booster and the combo valve. There was one blue brake nut that screwed into the rear circuit hole but the hole itself would not allow the existing rear brake line connect to it without an adapter ( too big). Could not use the blue nut, because of the way the existing rear brake line is bent could not get a tubing cutter or bender on it.
If you cut it back where you get to it it would have been to short.
Their tech support guy said he was not familiar with the Nova setup and I think he just guessed on the proper adapter. That is why I ordered the flex hose to use as an adapter. We will see when ever UPS decides to deliver the adapters from CPP.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My kit did not come with anything but the Master cylinder, the booster and the combo valve. There was one blue brake nut that screwed into the rear circuit hole but the hole itself would not allow the existing rear brake line connect to it without an adapter ( too big). Could not use the blue nut, because of the way the existing rear brake line is bent could not get a tubing cutter or bender on it.
If you cut it back where you get to it it would have been to short.
Their tech support guy said he was not familiar with the Nova setup and I think he just guessed on the proper adapter. That is why I ordered the flex hose to use as an adapter. We will see when ever UPS decides to deliver the adapters from CPP.
I had posted a question a while back asking about CPP as I'm doing a wagon project; just looking at whats available and it seems to me that I see more posts on this site about all the things you have to do with CPP regarding install of their disc brakes; now booster.

Granted I'm sure it's not all that bad, but if I'm gonna' buy a kit, I don't want to d$ck around making sure I have all the pieces and instructions. I've heard they are priced well; but I've used SSBC products on previous cars that were just bolt on as described; great instructions no problem.

I'll ask again .... is the price of CPP worth going through all the tinkering to get something installed. Maybe I don't have all the facts (probably don't) but I sure see a lot of threads on CPP install problems.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm just finished the disc brake swap on my '66 Wagon as we speak... well, after 8hrs work, I took off for the night. ;)

As far as the install:

1. First, I bought the whole 2" Drop setup from Chevy2Only, BUT it is the CPP kit. I used Chevy2 because they sell CPP kits specific to our cars. If you go through CPP, you have to match it all correctly.

2. The Kit came complete. I even asked Junior at the time I bought it if I need anything else. He assured me 1000 times that I didn't, and he was right. It came with the booster/MC already attached. The spindles, calipers, bearings, brake line to the caliper was already assembled. I did not have to do anything. I ordered the Stainless Steel line set for double the price, but well worth it. My old lines looked terrible, even after cleaning them up.

3. I'd say it took me about 4hrs to do both sides. Total breakdown from the old drums, taking the springs out PAINTING everything including the springs, perches and top srping cup. I also bought the CPP upper control arms. Same thing, bolted right on. They came with the upper ball joints already in place.

4. Now I am routing the lines. It is challenging only beacuse I am using SS lines. But other than that, it's very straight forward. As the member stated above, there is a plug attached to the M/C distribution block that goes in the passenger side fender-wall port to block off the old single line to the rear.

Really, I moved alone very quickly... and I am a slow-poke. I take breaks, stare at the car, day-dream for a few minuets... you know.. the usual, and I found it to be piss-easy!

The only hard part is that the disc brake assemblies are VERY heavy out of the box, so when you go to bolt them on you have to be very careful. I wedge my knee under it and used it as a jack/brace to hold the unit while I bolted on the top ball-joint.

I never tried to use any other place other than Chevy2Only. I find they are VERY good, helpful and really, they are Nova's only. Not some guy that is building 100 cars a week of all different makes.

Just my opinion, don't take it for anything more that what it is, but I found the CPP kit bought from C2O was a total breeze. I now have the whole front end kit including upper, lower and the brakes by CPP, and I'm very satisfied.

All the best,

DW

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CPP's customer service does not bode very well with me.
It is going to take a week to get 2 adapter to La Mesa.
A 1.5 hour drive.Order place last Monday, UPS scheduled deliver late Monday afternoon June 8. "FUMING"

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm just finished the disc brake swap on my '66 Wagon as we speak... well, after 8hrs work, I took off for the night. ;)

As far as the install:

1. First, I bought the whole 2" Drop setup from Chevy2Only, BUT it is the CPP kit. I used Chevy2 because they sell CPP kits specific to our cars. If you go through CPP, you have to match it all correctly.

2. The Kit came complete. I even asked Junior at the time I bought it if I need anything else. He assured me 1000 times that I didn't, and he was right. It came with the booster/MC already attached. The spindles, calipers, bearings, brake line to the caliper was already assembled. I did not have to do anything. I ordered the Stainless Steel line set for double the price, but well worth it. My old lines looked terrible, even after cleaning them up.

3. I'd say it took me about 4hrs to do both sides. Total breakdown from the old drums, taking the springs out PAINTING everything including the springs, perches and top srping cup. I also bought the CPP upper control arms. Same thing, bolted right on. They came with the upper ball joints already in place.

4. Now I am routing the lines. It is challenging only beacuse I am using SS lines. But other than that, it's very straight forward. As the member stated above, there is a plug attached to the M/C distribution block that goes in the passenger side fender-wall port to block off the old single line to the rear.

Really, I moved alone very quickly... and I am a slow-poke. I take breaks, stare at the car, day-dream for a few minuets... you know.. the usual, and I found it to be piss-easy!

The only hard part is that the disc brake assemblies are VERY heavy out of the box, so when you go to bolt them on you have to be very careful. I wedge my knee under it and used it as a jack/brace to hold the unit while I bolted on the top ball-joint.

I never tried to use any other place other than Chevy2Only. I find they are VERY good, helpful and really, they are Nova's only. Not some guy that is building 100 cars a week of all different makes.

Just my opinion, don't take it for anything more that what it is, but I found the CPP kit bought from C2O was a total breeze. I now have the whole front end kit including upper, lower and the brakes by CPP, and I'm very satisfied.

All the best,

DW
Thanks for the detailed info. I knew about Chevy2Only, but didn't realize that their kits were different (or should I say more complete) than if you went through CPP directly. That's encouraging..

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've got their metric brake kit and power booster, and I do remember having some difficulty getting it plumbed, but that was three years ago or so, and time has dulled any frustration. I do know that I have some killer braking power. I also will someday need to replumb the rear line, as I used the factory one that runs down passenger side. I just rigged up a connecting line that goes along my firewall routed above my HEI. It works, but sure is ugly. I'll fix that when I pull the car down for its next facelift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts