Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got ya...just kidding with the title but really,

the early nova is such a bad ass street car. does it make sense to keep the 6 cyl?
Aside from an around tooler, granny car. is swaping a small block or LS considered sin? coming from a Toyota landcrusier back ground it was frowned upon to swap... how is everyone feeling about the nova swaps?

PS Shameless post whoring so i can get to post in the wanted section///

·
Registered
188 Posts
Go for it put a big block with a Turbo 400 in it. That should keep you busy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya...lol, new to the nova scene but I'm positive the room is not there for a big block without a subframe! its Suuuuuper tight with a sbc and headers!

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
524 Posts
It's your car, do what you want with it. If you are not concerned about originality and value preservation, build what you want. Personally, if the car is original and in good shape, i would sell and find one thats already been hotrodded.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Son and I own 68's that both came with inline 6 engines.

His now has a 383 that is rated at just over 500 hp, while mine still has the original inline 250.

So, its just a matter of choice.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,040 Posts
Unless the car is ultra rare or came with some exotic motor I don't think "matching numbers" is that big of a selling point for something like a 63 Nova 100 model that came with a 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, all the landcruiser guys I know have small block chevys in them.

I've been reading about hot rodded 6 cylinders. Would actually be pretty fun.
There are quite a bit of "purists" in the LC world...I had a SBC in mine too. Was up In Medford/Central Point area for along time. Lots of sweet cruisers in that area.

A rapping 6 would be cool, maybe turbo.

·
Super Moderator
4,012 Posts
GM made space for a V-8 in the design of the car. So they were thinking the same way; it just took them 2 years to put one in. And most of the guys who bought one either gave some thought to putting in a V-8 or actually did it.

That said, I'll put in for keeping some original cars original. If there is a low-mile, mostly unmolested Chevy II, regardless of the engine and trans, I always like to see them kept as original as possible and maintained that way. LS, 4-link and front clip some car with the engine and trans missing, or something that has been changed before makes more sense to me.

In the end, it's whatever the owner of the car wants to do, and everyone else's opinion has to come second to that.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You'll find that there are people who like there cars all stock and people who do not.. Some cars it makes sense to make changes to make it more enjoyable but once you start that process it can grow into a bigger project as one change then leads to another and another and another and so on.. Build what ever your vision is for the car not what someone else thinks your car should be..!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,849 Posts
^^^^&^&&^

What they said ......

and, while I AM a SIX cyl. fan ............. do what you need or like.
I'm keeping my 250 in there (with the stock p/g , it sure wasn't no racer) but, with the T 5 speed in there now .............. it IS A BLAST to drive ............ and, everything at the 'cruise nights' are ALL V 8's.
So, it's cool to see a 'stock 250 I6' (with some after-market up grades ... mostly to keep up with th' times).

BUT ............. I'm not too big of fan for the " 194 " six . swap it out for a better 250 motor , and, make it look like the 194 engine ..... (as "Tim - the - Tool Man" says ............................)

More Power

just my 2 cents, later

jim

SIX - IN - A - ROW - Makes - 'em - GO !

·
Registered
938 Posts
GM made space for a V-8 in the design of the car. So they were thinking the same way; it just took them 2 years to put one in.
In a 20+ years or so, milenial hotrodders, if there will be any:rolleyes:, will say: A wise man once said: "GM made space for a V-8 in the design of the car. So they were thinking the same way; it just took them 2 years to put one in."

·
Registered
547 Posts
^

BUT ............. I'm not too big of fan for the " 194 " six . swap it out for a better 250 motor , and, make it look like the 194 engine
I have the 194 in my car. You can tell by the decal on the air cleaner. I love the "hi-thrift" motor, plenty of power.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Purist

I like BONE stock appearing!! 327 ZI L-79 engine, M-22 Auto Gear four speed, Moser 12 bolt 3:55 gear set, CBR front end, Viking coil overs and power disc brakes. slightly lowered looks bone stock yet it drives like a new car and it is bad fast.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
524 Posts
Duntov;5782351 I have the 194 in my car. You can tell by the decal on the air cleaner. I love the "hi-thrift" motor said:
Awesome 194! Love the decal!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Been looking over my shoulder ever since i made the comment about yanking the 4 banger out of my 62:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts