Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if this is an obvious issue, but I'm not too good at troubleshooting and I don't know much about wrenching. So I noticed when I first got my car that at idle it would smoke a little bit. Not a lot just a very small amount and I thought this was due to having a large cam. Well a couple fridays ago I decided to go to a local meet and noticed when I went to leave that my car was throwing way more smoke than usual at idle. I was watching the rearview all the way home and there was no smoke while driving, only at a stop. I am worried that this may turn into a problem. Any ideas as to why its doing this? Sorry if this seems too vague, if you need more info about the car just let me know. Thanks.

-Keegan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read up on that and it sure seems like that is the problem. Gonna have to pull the valve covers off and see whats goin on. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Check your coolant and oil levels carefully and that will help determine what it is as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm confused. I thought you said white smoke? You gotta get an idea of if it's white smoke, black smoke, or blue smoke. It's sort of like a choose your own adventure at that point in troubleshooting. White - water, blue - oil, black -gas, etc.
What he said, White is coolant /water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confused. I thought you said white smoke? You gotta get an idea of if it's white smoke, black smoke, or blue smoke. It's sort of like a choose your own adventure at that point in troubleshooting. White - water, blue - oil, black -gas, etc.
Well its more like a bluish-white smoke. Prior to excessively smoking, the smoke was just white and faint. Now its smoking more and as I said, has a blue tint to it. My oil level is the only thing I've checked lately and it was past the line on the dipstick. I had been told by the previous owner not to over fill it since it has a shallow oil pan. I always have that in mind but I must have somehow done it when I put a quart in awhile back when the dipstick read low. I can't just dump a whole container in because my oil delivery is through the valve covers and will quickly overflow if your not paying attention. So in between each pour I would wait a bit then check the stick until it got back up to the line. I made sure of it, but I just must of messed up because there's no way it would be over the line without someone adding more to it. I need to check the water and coolant levels as well, but I'm thinking this has something to do with oil and it being filled past where it should be may have made things worse. If a valve seal is bad and there is an abundance of oil, it could be why it started smoking much more right?

·
Registered
188 Posts
As said white smoke/water-antifreeze burning, blue smoke/oil. A little white smoke at idle is fine, a lot not so much. Tough to tell without seeing it. A little oil overfill not too big a deal. If it's like a quart high I'd drain some. I'd get both oil and water levels where they are supposed to be than start watching the levels. Could be a leaking head gasket but watch the levels to see and keep an eye out for water in the oil.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
CarAddict ----

Look at the bottom of this page (or , any page) for similar questions :

look here : "Similar Threads"

may-be find some good reading

............ jim

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Could be a leaking head gasket but watch the levels to see and keep an eye out for water in the oil.
I on the same page a Repointer1. If you were sure that you did not overfill when adding oil to the engine and the oil level is rising on its own, that would point to a blown head gasket. That would also explain the whitish/blue smoke while you are driving since some of the antifreeze and/or oil may be leaking into the combustion camber.

I would recommend a compression check of all cylinders. If you don't have a compression tester, you could try some of the trouble shooting methods shown below.

While your engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and start your engine. If the coolant quickly overflows the radiator's filler neck before the engine warms up... or if you are seeing a lot of air bubbles in your coolant as viewed thru the open filler neck, this could indicate a blown head gasket.

You can also remove one of your valve covers and look at the inside of the cover. If it has kinda of a "snotty" substance on it, that could also point to a blown head gasket.

After your car has been sitting with the engine not running for a little while (cold engine), drain your oil from the oil pan and if you see water/coolant coming out of the oil pan's drain hole before you see oil come out, you most likely have a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sometimes something like old gasket material clogs the drainback holes on the head and oil fills high enough to get to the valve stems and you get oil smoke.PCV valve could be clogged too. I know some people that got good deals on cars that were smoking and I was an easy fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts