Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Got a goofy problem for you all:
Recently put new BFG T/A White Letter tires on my ride.
Got maybe a 100 miles or so on them. When first put on the letters looked great, but after a short while there is a browning to the upper part of the white letters. I tried all the usual stuff-brillo,comet,degreasers,whitewall cleaners-
to get it off but it doesn't work. At recent car show I have seen similar staining of other BFG letters on other cars.
Any ideas how to remove this brown film?? And it's only on the upper part of the letters, not on the bottom part at all.
Think it's a manufacturing defect???
Thanks, Ken

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

On my BFG Radial T/A letters, I just use a soapy mitt to clean them and there's no browning whatsoever. Aftewards of course the letters are bright and shiny white. I have heard in the past that using brillo pads and such do more harm than good.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Are you doing burnouts? Goodyear slicks looked good with the white letters until the first looooonnnnnnnnnggggggg burnout. Then nothin but brown from then on:D

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Give toothpaste a try.I've used it before with a stiff brush and it worked great.bm

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
My front tires are the same. The rears that are a different size are fine. I have had 2 other tires that had the same issue. I use Simple Green and white wall cleaner, works for a couple weeks and then problem will return.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires

Ken E,
Funny you said that about the tires on the front. Exact thing for me. Back tires are 255/60-no problems.(Burnouts
included).
Fronts are 225/65 and brand new(2 months). They're the ones that are browning. Maybe some sizes are more prone to do this because of manufacturing processes or something. I did drop BFG an e-mail detailing the problem.
Let's see how they respond(if they do at all).
Ken

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
kenfb1 said:
Ken E,
Funny you said that about the tires on the front. Exact thing for me. Back tires are 255/60-no problems.(Burnouts
included).
Fronts are 225/65 and brand new(2 months). They're the ones that are browning. Maybe some sizes are more prone to do this because of manufacturing processes or something. I did drop BFG an e-mail detailing the problem.
Let's see how they respond(if they do at all).
Ken
please let us know what BF replies, as i have a set of four the same size doing the same thing. thanks!

·
Banned
137 Posts
i use shoe cleaner, its available at footlocker, any of those shoe stores in the malls. spray on then scrub and wipe off. freshens my white letters up real good.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BFG Reply

Mr. Buchinski,

Thank you for visiting our Web site and sending us your e-mail.

Regarding your message:

<Recently bought BFG T/A White Letter Tires fro Tirerack. After only a few
weeks there is a brownish tint to the upper part of the white letters. What
can be done to clean these letters? I tried all the usual cleaning solutios
but to no avail. I have seen similar problems on show vehicles with your
tires on them. Any help will be appreciated,
Ken>

We would suggest you take your vehicle to an authorized BFGoodrich dealer to
inspect your tires. If it is a defect in the rubber, we can adjust the
tires for you. If it has been caused by some chemical placed on the tires
it would not be covered by warranty.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email
or you may call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between
8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday to allow
one of our Consumer Relations Representatives to assist you.

BFGoodrich Tires
Consumer Relations Department

(Please Do Not Delete the line below.)
Email ID: 1582796

So, I think I'm gonna go to a local dealer and see what they say. Only problem is I got them from Tirerack!!!
Seems like others have this problem, at least I'm not crazy.
About that shoe cleaner in above post. What's the name of it and is it specifically for white shoes???
Ken

P.S.
I have drums brakes all around!!!!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blacks Out

I do and I don't. Point is I bought white letters to show white letters. Here's a few pics to see the problem.
BFG is at least replying to my messages. Maybe will get some credit???
Ken

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Just thought I'd let you guys know how I made out.
After jumping through a few hoops I went to a local bfg dealer and had him call bfg to verify the problem. Well, after a couple of hours on the phone they told dealer to order whatever size I had and replace the tires. Funny thing was that when I walked into the Sears tire store there was a new bgf t/a radial on display and it looked worse than my tires, it was all brown on the top part of the letters, so I didn't have to explain my problem very long to see if he understood.
I am wondering if the new replacements will be the same??? I bet they will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO, if you don't want white letters, don't buy white lettered tires.. "blackwalls out" look bad when you see the white letters facing inward underneath the car. The issue is, he paid for white letters (obviously LIKES white letters) and they are browning, glad to hear they're working on fixing the problem for him.

·
Registered
857 Posts
When i was younger I worked at a sears in the tires and battery dept. The reason i seen was from all the handling of the tires before you get them on the car.From the factory into a tractor trailer bounced around for several K miles out of truck stacked on the floor then shove restacked on the racks.then you come in and they get pulled and restacked by your car before being spun around on a tire machine and balacer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts