Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
debating to turn my BFG white letter tires in, or more plainly to have black wall tire side showing out. can't get BFG white letters white.
what are your thoughts and if you could share pictures that would be great.
thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
I ran the black wall on the outside for a couple of years on my 68.

I decided to turn the white lettering (Goodrich radial TA) out and
think it was a good decision.

I also had the issue of dull white letters until I I tried a block of sandpaper.

That really did the job and it did not hurt the tire.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
my vote is white letters out. looks good white letters on a silver color rally wheel. i use a worn down scotch bite pad an dawn dish soap. an with this big snow coming to michigan you'll have plenty of time to get them white before the driving season.

·
Registered
188 Posts
SOS pads on the white letters back in the day worked great.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,993 Posts
I had a set of BFG's on my 63 that no amount of scrubbing would get the dinge off the RWL's. I think they had some bad runs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
exactly what i am experiencing on BFG tires. it certainly looks like a production issue when making the tires. the only BFG tires i see with "white" letters seems to be tires that are 8 plus years old. makes one think BFG or whomever makes their tires changed production processes. when i had GoodYear tires those letters were truly "white". i have tried many things to clean the white letters and not work to get the letters 'white".

I had a set of BFG's on my 63 that no amount of scrubbing would get the dinge off the RWL's. I think they had some bad runs.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
It's only my personal preference, but I like black walls out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
White Letter Tires

I'm for white letter tires but man is it a pain to keep them white. Am thinking about redlines next time around, especially since our '63 convertible has a red interior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have recently had issues wit BFG white letter tires having a dingy appearance after cleaning them then driving the car heating the tires. I have read this is a normal process with BFG and to continue cleaning the tires and it will clear up. Although in the early BFG days I remember having the same issues with the white letters so we would use a 6” metal file to “dress “ our letters and they were extremely white. We used a mild less aggressive file with comet and a brush. This method still works for me today although I’m still experiencing the change in color after driving a while. My tires are new so I am hoping they will eventually stay white.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone have a sure fire way to get BFG white letters white and stay white for an acceptable period of time? i have tried comet, ajax, bleech white, scotch pad, bug and tar remover, lacquer thinner, plus other off the shelf products. all to no avail, even getting the letters to almost white is very difficult let alone keeping them white. thanks if anyone has the answer.

I also have recently had issues wit BFG white letter tires having a dingy appearance after cleaning them then driving the car heating the tires. I have read this is a normal process with BFG and to continue cleaning the tires and it will clear up. Although in the early BFG days I remember having the same issues with the white letters so we would use a 6” metal file to “dress “ our letters and they were extremely white. We used a mild less aggressive file with comet and a brush. This method still works for me today although I’m still experiencing the change in color after driving a while. My tires are new so I am hoping they will eventually stay white.

·
Registered
20 Posts
White letter tires came out in ‘70, so any pre-1970 shouldn’t have white letters. I’m old school, turn em in if older.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts