Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about white headers? I want my engine bay to be kinda unique and white headers could achieve that for me I think. There are lots of chrome headers and lots of black headers but all the white headers seemed to have disappeared. Are there any good paints out there and isn't one way to get white is with ceramic that is not "shiny" coated? I kinda like the old school look of white headers. What is your opinion? I like the ceramic chrome coated as well but i figured the white might be cheaper and I wouldn't be as concerned with "fitting" the headers in my engine bay as I would with nice expensive chrome headers.

I guess another possiblitly is wrapping cheap black headers in some type of insulating tape. But i don't know if that would look very good.

Comments? Suggestions?
-Aaron

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
my 66 Chevelle had white headers... a PITA ta keep nice... a piece of cardboard and a little touch ups here and there... after a while they were kinda fugly, so i gave up....

circa '79 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
YEa at first the white may look cool but how long are you willing to keep them that way?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Yes, you are right, "old school" because the new materials weren't available back in the 60's. Wrapping them is not good either...another "old school" trick. It causes condensation and before long you have a rusted set of junk bolted to your engine. Chrome looks nice until you start the engine, so unless it is a show car only, stay away from chrome. The cerma-chrome or other high tech coated headers now prevent rusting, rock chips, dramatically reduce underhood temps, cool much quicker, look better etc.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My cheapo Hedman's were white for a very short while. They came in the box black, installed black, run for a day, turned to white (burnt off paint), and then rusted. :rolleyes:

Paul a.k.a novalty

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run white headers on my 65 , I raceit, and yes vht does make colored paitn!! lol now has a nice rusty white hue to them, but for show or street I would go to some of the cerma coated, look better for longer time..

·
Registered
759 Posts
All of the over the counter rattle can header paint I have ever used deteriorates fairly quickly... The only real long term solution are the high-tech coating like Jet-hot and similar competitors, and some of them do offer white as an option.

But, depending on what else you do to your engine to match... white could be a nice option, but I think the theme just needs to be well thought out.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,867 Posts
Wrap them with white hear tape !!!!! :D

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Yes, you are right, "old school" because the new materials weren't available back in the 60's. Wrapping them is not good either...another "old school" trick. It causes condensation and before long you have a rusted set of junk bolted to your engine. Chrome looks nice until you start the engine, so unless it is a show car only, stay away from chrome. The cerma-chrome or other high tech coated headers now prevent rusting, rock chips, dramatically reduce underhood temps, cool much quicker, look better etc.
X2, Ceramic coating is all I run anymore. :yes::yes:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've been running white headers for about seven years now. They get crusty from grease etc. but my car is a hot rod, not a gold chainer show boat. :)

1. Sandblast
2. VHT white primer
3. VHT white Flameproof paint

They looked like new for about two-three years. After seven years, it's time to pull 'em and refinish.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've had white and really like to look but have not had the best luck with VHT for example, over time they get chalky and fade. Like someone else said, if you can touch up every know and then will help. I have a new set of shorties I'm getting ready now to install. I'm planning to use KBS coatings for a change. My car has air and PS and is a real pain to touch up.
I'll see if I can remember to post pics of the progress.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com

not promoting, just for reference if anyone cares, I get nothing from mentioning.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My machinist is coating headers now, can't remember the name of the product but it's been holding up fine for quite a few people now. He does them in grey, silver, blue, orange, and white. It's a baked on application. PM me for his contact info if needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts