Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Anyone sprayed there car with the White Dp47 from PPG? Just curious as to how it looked? I'm about to have my Nova Media Blasted, then Primed, and I'm thinking of using the white epoxy primer since I will eventually be painting the car white. But, the car's not going to be painted for maybe 6 months to a year. I'm going to get all the body work finished and drivetrain.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just sprayed my CJ7 with it before I threw on the white paint. It will look like a really smooth egg. I would only worry about contaminating it between prime and paint. Of course if you are going to sand it all out again it would not matter. Goes on nice!

·
Registered
332 Posts
When i got my epoxy primer they gave me a paper on mixing, drying times, air pressures ect....

It said that if you left the epoxy on the car for more than 3 days with out spraying another type of primer on it you needed to scuff and respray the epoxy again. I got mine from PPG I dont know if that makes a difference though

·
Registered
119 Posts
You will need to sand it if it sits but you do not need to re coat again with DP. Just don't sand it deep enough to bare metal again.

been sprying that stuff for 15 years. Depense on which catylist you use first of all. 401 can sit longer with out scuff then 402, 401 requires a 30 minute induction period before spraying, but better corrosion protection but does not sand as well as when using 402. 401 has better chemical resistance as well. If the car is going to sit for a while use 401. For quick easy use, 402 is better. Use DT reducer, don't try laquar thinner or any generic sub. DP is not a filling primer. It is just used to seal up bare metal. Don't stack it on. A nice even coat just to make it white. Omni makes a nice catylized filling primer that goes well with DP. Omni is made by PPG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts