Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hey guys, bought a powermaster 70 Amp three wire alternator for my 67. Installed it and started the car up and when I put a load on it,(headlights, electric fan etc.) it whines like a blower!!! Called Powermaster and they said that that was normal when a heavy load was placed on the alternator. Well, I've never had an alternator whine that loud. If you rev up the engine it goes away. I had allready ran a new 10 awg wire from the alternator to the battery. I even tried running a temporary 10 awg wire in addition to the one I allready have with no luck. Should I get a high output at idle one, or is this one just defected??? My old alternator (externally regulated) did not whine.
Thanks in advance,
John

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I am using a powermaster 100 amp, it's quiet as a church mouse. Mine is a one wire, don't know if that makes any difference.
Tg

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the ground wire, but my negative cable from the battery goes directly to the block. I would think with the alternator mounts attached to the block that that would be sufficent, but who knows???
Thanks for your help,
John

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I have a Powermaster 140 amp 3 wire and it is quiet under load too. You don't have a loose fan belt do you?
BP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts