Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i believe my next investment is going to be rims and tires. what is the cheapest rim and tire combo for a 71 nova. i want it to clear the stock fenderwells and i want the tire height to be around 27 to 28 inches tall. i wanted a kind of cheater slick that was DOT approved. i know this is a lot but what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
mickey thompson's indy profile SS's are supposed to be almost as soft as a drag slick, and have tread. 28x9.5x15's are available, though i can almost guarantee that they will rub at least a little. they also have the sportsman tires in a variety of sizes, and the sportsman pro's have tread and allegedly heat up like a drag slick. these tires are a little pricey though...it would probably cost the same to run a drag radial (BFG, MT, Nitto, M/H, and Hoosier have them available) and then some cheapie radials up front. you could get the fronts anywhere. if you can, i'd do front and back either both radial or both bias-ply for safety reasons. i run radials up front at the track but the consensus seems to be that if you have a choice, keep them the same.

as for wheels...steelies are usually inexpensive, but can cost you on the strip because of a high rotating mass. you could compromise by getting a pair of light wheels for the rear and use steelies up front, but your best bet is going to be to look around. there are some factory alloy wheels that will be lighter than steelies (is this correct?) but you'll have to look around to find them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wat about hoosiers quick time pro dot drag tires that are 27 x 10.5 x 15.good tire? what kind of rim would i need to mount these on to not rub. what like a 15 x 7 with 4 inche bs? or more?

·
Registered
362 Posts
For a stock 70 Nova chassis,(stock rear) 5" backspace put the tire dead center. Problem, convo pros are the only that I know of that are 5", most are either 4.5 or 5.5 backspace.

The weight savings over steel rims usually equals .1-.15 different in et.

I run draglites, have had prostars, all required a 1/2 spacer. You you be safe with a 275x60 tire (equates to roughly a 9" wide footprint) without rubbing.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
there's nothing wrong with the quick time pros...as long as you don't get rained on. if you're going to drive them every day i'd get some with tread. if not: go for it. $150 or more a piece is a lot to spend on tires you drive on the street, especially the way cheater slicks wear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
these will not be driven on the street im going to have my regular radials than when i go to the strip put them on. i wanted a crappy rim that i could just paint black but i just dont know what size tire and rim i need. so do i just by a 15 x 7 rim with 5 inch backspacing and the tire will fit what is the littlest amount of backspacing i need?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
for a 10.5" slick with an 8" wheel you will need 5" of backspace. i'd run a 9" slick, they fit easier and you won't need all 10.5" of tread. guys are running in the 7's now on a 10.5" slick. hoosier's 27x10.5x15 has a 9" tread width and would fit well. you could get away with a 7" rim and have it tucked under there nicely. i ran 10.5's last year on a 7" rim and could barely fit them under the car. the 9" slicks i have now fit better and my 60fts didn't drop at all (i ran a circle track slick with 10.5" of tread to a best of a 1.9 60ft, these are MT's and i have a 1.8)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You want to try my drag radials? I have to disagree with the comment on the M/T's; I've seen very few cars work on that tire. Although, if you did a decent burnout they might work better. The T/A drag radials are better.
M/T Drag radials are better than my T/A's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
bowtie0069 said:
You want to try my drag radials? I have to disagree with the comment on the M/T's; I've seen very few cars work on that tire. Although, if you did a decent burnout they might work better. The T/A drag radials are better.
M/T Drag radials are better than my T/A's.
The M/T Drag Radials are a great tire, given your suspension is dialed in. I use them on the street as well and they drive so much better than my old Hoosier quick time pro's. The car is more stable going down track and doesn't wonder around on the street, Pennsylvania roads suck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what will give me more runs a drag radial or a slick? i need a somewhat tall tire because i dont want the rpm too high at the end of the 1/4 mile. it seemed all the 9 inch tall tires were only 26 inches tall. i wouild love to borrow the drag radials to try out but the only problem is i cant go to the track till june because my parents wont let me because of grades. so im tryin to get the car all set up so next time i can make a decent pass.p.s. these tires will not be driven on the street!

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
its' difficult to say how many runs you will get from a set of tires. if you run every weekend all summer long i can't say that i'd expect more than 1 season out of them. it's going to depend on track prep, how well your setup works, and how hot you need to get them to work. if you don't race regularly you could see two or three years out of a pair of slicks, provided you take care of them and they don't dry rot.

·
Registered
576 Posts
71nova said:
what will give me more runs a drag radial or a slick? i need a somewhat tall tire because i dont want the rpm too high at the end of the 1/4 mile. it seemed all the 9 inch tall tires were only 26 inches tall. i wouild love to borrow the drag radials to try out but the only problem is i cant go to the track till june because my parents wont let me because of grades. so im tryin to get the car all set up so next time i can make a decent pass.p.s. these tires will not be driven on the street!
GET YOUR GRADES UP AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE TIRES SO WE CAN SEE YOU AT THE TRACK SOONER.
What an old fart I am.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am getting my grades up! i no you are absolutely right. im actually rightting my 7 page term paper right now. youll be seeing me at the track soon

·
Registered
112 Posts
what about

What if you had a 15X7 inch rim with 3.5 backspacing, what;s the biggest street tire you could fit on it? a 275/60R 15, which is taller? a 60R or 50R? i have 15X8 draglites with i TH*INK 3.5 backspacing and BF Goodrich 245/60R 15;s, im looking for a tire i can run on the street and track, also what about a M/T ET Street tire? would a 28X10.5 fit the 15X7 with 4.5 backspacing? i was told it would

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just talked to the used rim place down the street and they have a 15 x 7 inch rim with 4.5 inch backspacing for 20 bucks each. will the 27 x 10.5 x 15 work? it has a tread width of 9 inches and 10.1 section width? or will i run into any rubbing.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
74customnova said:
What if you had a 15X7 inch rim with 3.5 backspacing, what;s the biggest street tire you could fit on it? a 275/60R 15, which is taller? a 60R or 50R? i have 15X8 draglites with i TH*INK 3.5 backspacing and BF Goodrich 245/60R 15;s, im looking for a tire i can run on the street and track, also what about a M/T ET Street tire? would a 28X10.5 fit the 15X7 with 4.5 backspacing? i was told it would
Yup they fit here you go:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
what size rim and tire is that? and thats with the shocks and everything in the stock location? no rubbing over dips or anything?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have a worn pair of 28x9" M/T Drag slicks you can have for test fitting--they are the same size as a 28x11.5 E.T. Street. I also have a worn set of 28x 10.5's you can have. The last pass on the 9" tire had a 1.39 60ft. and they were almost bald.

·
Registered
262 Posts
71nova said:
what will give me more runs a drag radial or a slick? /QUOTE]

Let me help you a little bit, 1st. of all the main concern with regard to how much tire will fit into the wheel well of a Nova is determined by 2 factors

1. The back space of the wheel which Bowtie0069 has correctly stated
2. Is the overall section width of the tire (not all are the same)
"EXAMPLE" lets say the wheel of choice is a 15 x 8, that will always be the same. However, the mounted section width measurement of 28 x 10.5 on that 15 x 8 wheel will vary from manufacture to manufacture as well as type to type.

Now, there are 2 different MT Drag radial's, there is a Drag radial slick (stiff side wall for greater top end stability) and there is a DOT Drag Radial, both of these will work very good but will not measure the same in the cross section width.

I personally like the new MT Drag Radial slick, they will last longer than a standard slick or DOT Drag Radial, they will also give you MUCH greater stability on the top end as you go through the traps.

Like all race application tires the amount of air in a MT Drag Radial Slick is different, you cant run 14# of air in a drag radial slick without a lot of tire shake, you have to run the Drag Radial Slick at 20 + # of air for it to perform.

So 71 nova, my thought is that you should go to your closes performance center that sell race application tires and ask a lot of question. Everyone here have a lot of knowledge and experience but there are little differences in each one of our cars.

Here is my 72 with 29.5 x 10.5 x 15 on 15 x 8 with a 5.5" back space, my section width was huge and I had to mini tub the car, then I went to the MT Drag Radial Slick and I have all kinds of room.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 38 Posts