Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone suggest a good timing light. i asked my friend if i could borrow his but it is basic and only flashes so i can see the mark. i'm looking for one that is a little bit higher tech with rpm and advanced timing.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Timing

GOOGLE "Timing Lights" and you will get the name of manufacturers and vendors together with a lot of opinions and reviews.

I was faced with the same question not long ago and purchased one with a guarantee as well as pre-paid shipping. Have never looked back.

Hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did do a google search but all I could find were the different lights, no reviews on them. Which one did you end up buying?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had a couple of the cheap $60.00 ones and they were crap, ended up buying a Mac. like the saying goes you get what you pay for

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Depends on what kind of ignition system you are using. Some multiple spark CD type systems don't like dial back lights. MSD says NO dial backs. Flaming River makes a decent light. I use an MSD unit for the race car. I've got a Sears dial back too but don't use it on any cars with CD type ignitions.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Seeing the light.

I did do a google search but all I could find were the different lights, no reviews on them. Which one did you end up buying?
Many of the name brand timing lights are sold at AMAZON.com. As hard as that is to believe...it's true. And with every product Amazon sells they have a "write a review" section. I read all the reviews before I purchase anything. Finally, the retail price of everything Amazon sells is heavily discounted. Once upon a time all Amazon did was sell books and tapes. Now, they seem to sell about anything.

Here's another example of what they sell: Most everyone in this Forum agrees that Purolator "PURE ONE" oil filters are second to none in quality. However, one of the comments made about Pure One is that they are expensive. Maybe so...but on Amazon.com they sell them in "2 packs" and the price for a two pack is $9.95.

Finally, Amazon.com ships for free (if the sale is more than $25.00). AND...if for any reason you don't like it...return it.

Hope this helps....

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Some multiple spark CD type systems don't like dial back lights. MSD says NO dial backs.
What he said. I have an MSD digital 6 plus. MSD instructions say No digital lights, no dialback lights. I bought a high zoot Snap-On light, digital, dialback, tach, figured "Certainly they mean no CHEAP digital or dialback, my gold plated super whizbang Snap-On will work fine!"

Not.

I dug my 30 year old "Sears Best" out, and it worked great.

One of these days the Snap-On light is going back to eBay from whence it came.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I also agree, amazon is the place. Many non-brick and mortar type stores use them for the jump off point.

As for the light. I have owned a craftsman light for 20 years, worked great for me, lil dial at the rear for dialing in, very bright lamp. Problem? My wires are too fat. Taylor 10mm wires. So I bought another light, cheap OTC stinger, nice big clamp hole. It works. I do love my old sears light though. JR

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I will check out Amazon. I may have a Snap On timing light in a tool chest back in CA. Having someone check tomorrow and if it is there I'll have it shipped out rather than buying a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts