Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it the one with the drivers side speedometer gear, or the one that had the gear on the pass side. If on the pass side, how was the speedo cable routed?

If retrofitting a 4-speed and using a Hurst Comp Plus, do you need to use a specific tail housing? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
If you want the stick to come throught the floor in the right spot, you need the tailhousing with the passenger side speedo cable. That housing has the extra set of bosses to mount the shifter all the way forward. I'm still working on the cable routing myself, it's kind of a pain.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTT

So the '584' tailhousing is a MUST HAVE item to get the shifter in the right place? How did the factory route the speedo cable on the 64-67 cars? Anyone have an Assembly Manual? (I know, I know... I SHOULD have one! ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
I have the manual but not one of them fancy scanner machines. If anybody else has both scanner and manual the routing is on page 270.
Basically it starts on the pass. side of the tail shaft housing stays on the pass side in the tunnel goes up over the bellhousing to the same hole in the firewall that is used for all 64-67 speedo cables.
There is an extra clip added for four speed installations right before it goes over the bellhousing inside the tunnel. Its 5.5 inches from the front of the trans crossmember on the passenger side and 7.25 inches from the inside of the passenger frame rail.
The cable for the Muncie is longer than the one used for powerglides.
I have both if you need the length.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great info! Thanks! :)

I was not sure where the cable entered the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
I don't know which side is correct for the early Nova but I can't imagine why the drivers side speedo hook up wouldn't work.
Here is a photo of the 3857584 tailhousing with drivers side speedo and a 3846429 with pass side connection and the shifter mounting holes showing the missing hole needed for the front shifter mounting location.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh... the 6th hole is the key, huh? I was not sure if Hurst made mounting kits to use the drivers side speedo housing, yet still allow the shifter to come through the floor in the right place.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The hole through the firewall is just above where the steering column penetrates. It is the only hole that faces (almost) downward.

Also - be careful not to turn tight corners with your speedo cable when you are routing it. If you do, it will wear out much faster.

Keith
64v8ss4spd
:chev:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
John, yes, the 6th hole (lower, frontmost) is the key. My Hurst Comp + uses it also. My car has a bench seat, and that combination fits my aftermarket steel transmission hump in the floor perfectly and allows the seat some movement. If you don't mount the shifter that far forward, it doesn't work well with bench seats or factory consoles. If you're going with buckets and no factory console, I guess you could cut a hole in the floor and fab something up. Long story short, mine came like that (semi-butchered) from the previous owner (with a drivers side speedo & street super shifter, I think), and I had to have the seat all the way back to shift and it still hit the seat. I bit the bullet, fixed the floor and swapped transmissions & shifters. I like the way it turned out, much happier now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4 speed

John65ss said:
Was it the one with the drivers side speedometer gear, or the one that had the gear on the pass side. If on the pass side, how was the speedo cable routed?

If retrofitting a 4-speed and using a Hurst Comp Plus, do you need to use a specific tail housing? Thanks!

If you want the shifter to fit the original location on the hump you will need the tail shaft with the "Sixth" hole for the mounting hardware. There is only one Hurst kit that will work on this model. (I just spent 3 weeks figuring it out) The speedo cable routes from the front and 55" will work.
PS: If you are using the console you will also find the Hurst flat stick does not work well with the slide cover on the console. I removed and used a boot.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you order the Hurst kit note the following: you should be able to use the illustration diagram at the Hurst site on www.mrgasket.com to determine what the mounting hardware looks like to buy their "shift kit" which uses your Hurst shifter (if it is the correct model) and their mounting kit, etc. It indicates all of the specific items for a trannie/shifter. Note that the main case and side cover you have may not be compatable with the shift kit. The diagram shows all the Hurst part # for the shifter arms you would need to use for the early side cover with "studs" or the later side cover with "bolts". The arms are specific for each style side cover. As you may know the side covers of the earlier muncies were different than those of the latter years. The difference being one had "bolts" to attach the arms and one had "studs" with nuts to attach the arms. Also if you already have a Hurst 4 speed shifter make sure it is the correct match up for the chevy II shift kit. The Hurst Chevy II shift kit comes with the earlier arms. If you have the latter side cover you will have to buy the later arms for the side cover bolt style in addition to the kit. the kit includes the mounting plate and spacer for the shifter as well the associated hardware to fit the shifter up to the trannie. BTW, if you dont use the factory console you may get by with their universal kit.
Adding this for further explanation for using a Hurst shifter for the 64-67 chevy II with factory consoles:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those looking at installing a Hurst 4 speed competion plus in their 62-67 ChevyII in a factory console heres what Hurst has to offer. They have a complete kit that includes the shifter and linkage/arms and hardware for the 64-67 Chevy II's. These kits are different. For the 64 is different than the 65-67. Simple reason is the consoles are different and the Muncie shifter attached to the trannie differently as I understand. If you have a correct shifter with the # 3917308 you would only need to get the Hurst "shift kit" only, which does not include the shifter. For the 64 Chevy II the shift kit # is 3733163. For the 65-67 the # is 3734354. I bought the shift kit thru Summit for around $90.
Heres the problem when using these kits. For the 65-67 Chevy II's 1.) you must have the older (early style)) style Muncie 4 speed with the tailshaft having the "6" bolt mounting hole on the tailshaft # 3978764. 2.) And have the trannie case with the early side cover which had the "studs/nuts" for attaching the arms to.The Hurst kit was designed for the correct year to year car and trannie.
If you have a later side cover with the "bolts" that attach the arms to the side cover Hurst has these arms available to use, at a extra cost. 1&2 gear arm # 1057129; 3rd&4th gear 1057130; reverse 1057128. Note these arms are the same for 69-72 Novas. The arms cost about $15 each. And no, dont try to drill out the arms , they are harden steel. Also if you're thinking about ordering a 69-70 shift kit and or complete shifter, the trannie mounting adaptors are different. To install the 3978764 tailshaft on Muncie later trannies, Note the later trannie mainshaft is larger in diameter and about an inch longer..so go figure here what you need to do to change over.
If you have a Saginaw, well you're outta luck for Hurst stop making the kit for the 64-67 chevy II about 4 years ago.
For a Borg Warner T-10 you could make do with Hurst "universal kit". Some here at the site have installed it on this set up.
In all cases since the Hurst chrome shifter arm that protrudes thru the floor is rectangular in diameter, the factory SS console will need to be modified to accept the shifter. The original Muncie shifter was round. The sliding plate within the console was designed for the round Muncie shifter. You will need to cut out the sliding piece or eliminate it all together and bring the boot thru the console as many has done. It looks fine but is not original of course. End
Phil

·
Registered
861 Posts
Philip said:
I don't know which side is correct for the early Nova but I can't imagine why the drivers side speedo hook up wouldn't work.
Here is a photo of the 3857584 tailhousing with drivers side speedo and a 3846429 with pass side connection and the shifter mounting holes showing the missing hole needed for the front shifter mounting location.
The driverside speedo cable location would be in the area of the shifter mounting plate and linkage. Really dont thik it would work using the original nova muncie shifter or the Hurst shifter for the 62-67 deuces...Phil

·
Registered
861 Posts
Using a Hurst 4 speed in a 64-67

For those looking at installing a Hurst 4 speed competion plus in their 62-67 ChevyII in a factory console heres what Hurst has to offer. They have a complete kit that includes the shifter and linkage/arms and hardware for the 64-67 Chevy II's. These kits are different. For the 64 is different than the 65-67. Simple reason is the consoles are different and the Muncie shifter attached to the trannie differently as I understand. If you have a correct shifter with the # 3917308 you would only need to get the Hurst "shift kit" only, which does not include the shifter. For the 64 Chevy II the shift kit # is 3733163. For the 65-67 the # is 3734354. I bought the shift kit thru Summit for around $90.
Heres the problem when using these kits. For the 65-67 Chevy II's 1.) you must have the older (early style)) style Muncie 4 speed with the tailshaft having the "6" bolt mounting hole on the tailshaft # 3978764. 2.) And have the trannie case with the early side cover which had the "studs/nuts" for attaching the arms to.The Hurst kit was designed for the correct year to year car and trannie.
If you have a later side cover with the "bolts" that attach the arms to the side cover Hurst has these arms available to use, at a extra cost. 1&2 gear arm # 1057129; 3rd&4th gear 1057130; reverse 1057128. Note these arms are the same for 69-72 Novas. The arms cost about $15 each. And no, dont try to drill out the arms , they are harden steel. Also if you're thinking about ordering a 69-70 shift kit and or complete shifter, the trannie mounting adaptors are different. To install the 3978764 tailshaft on Muncie later trannies, Note the later trannie mainshaft is larger in diameter and about an inch longer..so go figure here what you need to do to change over.
If you have a Saginaw, well you're outta luck for Hurst stop making the kit for the 64-67 chevy II about 4 years ago.
For a Borg Warner T-10 you could make do with Hurst "universal kit". Some here at the site have installed it on this set up.
In all cases since the Hurst chrome shifter arm that protrudes thru the floor is rectangular in diameter, the factory SS console will need to be modified to accept the shifter. The original Muncie shifter was round. The sliding plate within the console was designed for the round Muncie shifter. You will need to cut out the sliding piece or eliminate it all together and bring the boot thru the console as many has done. It looks fine but is not original of course. End
Phil

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Phil / Anyone else:

What did you do for a back-up light switch with the Hurst shifter? Got parts list and/or pics? Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts