Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 63 nova has the front seat that looks like a bench but the top part splits and folds in......i thought true SS seats were bucket.and how does the full console go in if you have the seat that i have mentioned?

·
13,965 Posts
Bucket seats and console came standard in all 1963 Novas with the Super Sport option. There was no other front seat available and no other 63 Nova had a console. Is there a possibility your car isn't an SS? Look for a 'Z' or 'X' on the bottom line of the cowl tag.

Bob

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bucket seats and console came standard in all 1963 Novas with the Super Sport option. There was no other front seat available and no other 63 Nova had a console. Is there a possibility your car isn't an SS? Look for a 'Z' or 'X' on the bottom line of the cowl tag.

Bob
it has a z,and it looks like the original rivets in the tag. when i bought this car it had alot of pieces missing like the console.may not be the original seat.what else can i look for to make sure its a true SS?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
There will be extra brackets by the trans tunnel to bolt the buckets to that a bench seat car will not have. Steering column should not have a shifter on it because all SS cars were floor shift I believe.

·
13,965 Posts
In addition to the SS only items already mentioned, all 1963 SS cars had chrome fender/door peak trim that ran the length of the car on each side. They also has a full set of gauges instead of idiot lights.

Just for clarification, if a 1963 SS had the standard 3 speed manual, it was mounted on the column and there was no console between the bucket seats. The console was only included if the optional powerglide automatic was ordered.

Bob

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
as mentioned the 63 ss had the one inch wide strip down the center of the dash, full gages in the cluster. I also was under the impression that the PG was standard on ss cars also.

·
13,965 Posts
I also was under the impression that the PG was standard on ss cars also.
All 1963 Chevy IIs, including the SS, came standard with a 3 speed manual transmission with column mounted shifter. The only other transmission available was the powerglide, a $163.00 option. On the SS, it came with the console and floor mounted shifter. Most SS cars got the PG, but you still see a few with the 3 speed manual and no console.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts