Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Mine is the same size as the 555-52009. Is your core support opened up to the max size?
Those are really low prices, less than half of what I paid. What sizes tubes and how many fins per inch?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, my core support is the standard opening, I do not want to cut it. It just hurtssss to cut my nova. lol That is why I'm looking at a smaller length radiator. Once I'm settled in Cali I may open up the core support if NEEDED but I'd prefer to keep in how it is. :D

I'll get the details for the rad. in a sec.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Looks to be worth the purchase price, but for the same money you can get the larger one :devil: Even if you do not cut out the support it will circulate more water, but the side air deflector will need removed.

Dotted line is where to cut the deflector off.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
BTW all the core supports were stamped with the small opening, you can feel that the ones with the larger opening has been cut. The air deflector was only used on the non AC cars.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So basically as long as it's 19 inches high, I'm good? Good thing is our radiators just sit in a cradle type mount so these universal ones should fit pretty well. Question, I have an external tranny cooler that is also routed into my radiator, since i won't have that option anymore, will the tranny cooler be sufficient? It is a few sizes larger than needed for a "passenger car" that is all I remember, its not name brand, I worked at a tranny shop and its the coolers they use. there is about 6 different sizes from small car to motor home and i think mine is a 4?

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
The heat exchanger in the radiator is not absolutely necessary. It serves 2 functions, first it helps warm up the coolant in cold weather and allows some heat to be shed from the transmission fluid even after the engine is up to temperature. You will be fine without it, the auxiliary cooler will actually keep both the engine and trans temps lower.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
With those radiators you will need to open up the cradle mounts and use larger rubber cushions. The cushions are available from GM parts, most have them in stock. I'll try and find my receipt and post the part number.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With those radiators you will need to open up the cradle mounts and use larger rubber cushions. The cushions are available from GM parts, most have them in stock. I'll try and find my receipt and post the part number.
What do you mean by open up?

So basically I have to modify the cradle to fit a thicker radiator?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
hey philip

i think summit sells poly ones from prothane i dont know bout the size or fitment maybe you can help? oh and i never thanked u for the grill got it and looks great that will be my driver one and buy a show one from classic thanx again

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
What do you mean by open up?

So basically I have to modify the cradle to fit a thicker radiator?
The cradle mount area has a piece of metal that sticks up 90degrees to the mount surface.It was to help hold the cushion from slipping. That piece needs to be folded back down into the core support to fit the larger cushions for the wider radiator. I know you didn't want to modify your support but it will need done to use a bigger radiator. So you may as well cut the opening larger, move the deflector to the other set of holes and never look back :D

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
i think summit sells poly ones from prothane i dont know bout the size or fitment maybe you can help? oh and i never thanked u for the grill got it and looks great that will be my driver one and buy a show one from classic thanx again
I like to use poly instead of rubber in almost every application of the car except for the radiator mount cushions. The softer rubber absorbs more vibration rather than transferring it to the radiator.

You are welcome fo the grill. I have been hoarding the 75 grills for some time now, but time has come to share. CI only offers the standard grill in gray plastic. It would need sent out for chrome plating to make an LN or SS grill out of one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I went with 555-52009. 31x19 Radiator, just in case I do decide to open up the core support I'll have more radiator there :D

Ordered it tonight and will get shipped out tomorrow, I hope it comes and I get it in before my scheduled departure! Of course nothing ever goes right and takes double the time you think it should...

Will my stock hoses fit right up, Philip?

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
You might need a longer top hose since the tank is a little farther from the center of the engine. You will also need a longer top plate and a HD cooling shorud. I am assuming you just had the small finger guard type top mount. That was what the non AC/non HD cooling cars had. PM if you need those parts and I will make you a deal that the "godfather" would be proud of :devil:

After you cut that deflector off it gets remounted in the holes I circled in the drawing.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had a 31x19x2.5 griffen and wasnt enough with built 355 or mild 454, after i ruined it i got the 31x19x3 griffen and that did it. Hope you have better luck.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts