Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im getting ready to strip my car to bare metal and I was wondering what you guys recommend to do? i was wondering either media, sand. glass or soda blasting it? I was wondering which of those was the safest for the metal and most efficient way. I have researched on the forum but i wanted to get more feedback. thanks in advance

·
14,585 Posts
I had 2 of my cars media blasted and had no problems. I had one of my cars soda blasted with no problem. The thing to watch out for with soda blasting is the car has to be washed down several times very well to get rid of the soda residue that is left. If it is not washed down correctly and dried immediately it will surface rust quickly. Also, the primer will not stick properly. You also do not want to leave a lot of soda inside the body panels because when it gets wet it gets caustic per my soda blasting guy. You do not want to sandblast large body panels because of the danger of warping them. Also, go look at the shop that you are considering and see what they are doing. Ask for references on their work. See what kind of vehicles they work on and if it looks like they are busy or desperate for work. There are scammers in all fields of business.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
soda or walnuts are both great!!Make sure you clean either on really well.Also what ever you do...do not sand blast...it'll warp your panels.bm

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used a product called "Starblast" from Dupont. IT worked GREAT, very smooth finish, NO dust, and was very cheap. About 10$ for a 50lb bag. Used 200lbs

I also rented a "sand blast kit" from my local rental shop for 300$.

Did the entire car in one day for far far far far less than I would pay someone else...
Something to ponder..

-rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts