Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,435 Posts
That sounds good ; plus, you know th' guy - (y) meaning, more solid .

jim

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
all rebuilt 0 miles.
Not all rebuilt Muncies are equal... Hope this one is a good candidate for some right foot action!!

(edit) Hope he remains your buddy... :p

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would likely change your clutch and throwout bearing though for a fresh start (depending on whether you find a 10 or a 26 spline Muncie).

View attachment 444952
Clutch in the car now has about 700 miles I'll change out the throw out bearing. Also have a center force clutch on the shelf that has about 100 miles.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Andy - I STOPPED doing that - making me hurt, now.

jim

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Andy - I STOPPED doing that - making me hurt, now.

jim
Jim, I just break things... fix, repeat! Still sliding on the ground under cars... I did use your cardboard trick though, works like a champ!! And... cut off all my hair too so that helps :p

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
What cardboard trick? Did I miss something.
The three seashells...

But in all seriousness, just cardboard to slide on your back on the ground rather than a creeper. Way easier than the wheels of death table...

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Dom - we're taking away from your trans post .

What cardboard trick? Did I miss something.
But , you did ask.

Back awhile ago - with JMark's build - he had posted something about using a 'creeper' . . . ? ? ?
Then, I had a picture, when I was doing my T 5 install - and I posted this picture. Showing my 'cardboard creeper' = laying under my car. I use this all the time , as I did have long hair
from time to time. When using my "wheel creeper" - I could very easy get my hair 'tangled in those creeper wheels' . Yes , it would hurt - like ALOT , plus doing the trans install ; I would
push & pull on the trans , thus rolling where I didn't want to be.
When, I posted that picture - I was showing Mark my "cardboard creeper" - so, I think that's what Andy's talking about.

It works really good & fits my bill - like - cheap . Just make it 'thick' - too better "insulate you from the cold floor" . I go by that = KISS way of thinking .
Works for me .

Here's the pic - I had sent to JMark :
the cardboard = laying under th' car .

jim

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like it’s been decided, but I’ll toss in my two cents. I bought a budget rebuilt m20 from a supposed expert - it was a DISASTER with mismatched parts, shorty rebuild, etc. couldn’t even get it installed. I eventually contacted Midwest muncie and bought an m22w, it wasn’t cheap but it’s been great and Jeff was super helpful!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would like to install a Muncie for my 72. So if anyone can tell me which year Muncie would work/fit and what else I would need. Either m20,m21,or m22 Thanks!
Would like to install a Muncie for my 72. So if anyone can tell me which year Muncie would work/fit and what else I would need. Either m20,m21,or m22 Thanks!
Just a bit of caution regarding your project, if I’m understanding it correctly you are currently running the oem Saginaw 4 speed transmission. GM installed those transmission’s in a lot of the lower hp cars produced. With that a lot of the Saginaw’s already had first gear ratios from the higher 2.50’s up to 3.11. You’re considering the M21 with the 2.20 first gear for a better launch. There’s a chance you could be going backwards in the pursuit of a better launch. Try to identify your Saginaw berfore buying something different…

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Do know what gears are in my Saginaw, but it came in my 72 SS with the 350. That being said would anyone know what gears came in the Saginaw SS cars. Thanks.
Strange musical score.. .Is that the treble and bass clef together? :p

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
This is the ratio in my Saginaw (so I read.) 2.54:1, 1.80:1, 1.44:1 and 1.00:1.
And the M21 2.20 / 1.64 / 1.28 / 1.00
Is it worth to make the change?🤷
Other then the strength of the Muncie.

I can pick up an early M20
Year 1963-1965 Ratios are: 2.56 / 1.91 / 1.48 / 1.00 is it worth it??? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
With your engine combination, I would upgrade to the Muncie, Borg Warner or TKX.
What about the gear ratios it's about the same as my Saginaw? I don't think I would gain that much on the gearing except for the strength of the Muncie versus my Saginaw.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts