Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let me ask it this way . . .

If you were the mechanic and you had two 65 Novas in your garage waiting to be worked on (and you had all the correct parts needed for both), which would you expect to be the easier modification?

1) changing a manual column shift 3-sp to a floor/console 4-sp Muncie;

or,

2) changing an existing floor/console auto 350 to a 4-sp Muncie?

Hopefully this isn't a ridiculous question, because I'm looking at two cars and each isn't quite what I want - and would need one of those mod's . . .

Thanks,

Mike S.
Nashville, TN

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Okay, let me ask it this way . . .

If you were the mechanic and you had two 65 Novas in your garage waiting to be worked on (and you had all the correct parts needed for both), which would you expect to be the easier modification?

1) changing a manual column shift 3-sp to a floor/console 4-sp Muncie;

or,

2) changing an existing floor/console auto 350 to a 4-sp Muncie?

Hopefully this isn't a ridiculous question, because I'm looking at two cars and each isn't quite what I want - and would need one of those mod's . . .

Thanks,

Mike S.
Nashville, TN
I would say manual column shift 3-sp to a floor/console 4-sp Muncie;

on this one your looking at the tran and four speed shifter every thing eles should be the.

Now on the auto 350 to the 4 four speed your looking at needing(bellhouseing,Z bar,clutch fork.throwout bearing,new clutch pedal and brake pedal,trans,4 speed shifter so on and so on)More work i would say this one is a bigger Headache

Just my 2 cents

Tom

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tom

Thanks Tom for your opinion. It helps - especially from guys that know these cars a lot better than I do.

Mike S.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The clutch stuff is the money/time eater.Pedals,linkage,flywheel,clutch and bellhousing aren't chump change.Definately better with the 3 speed column to 4 speed floor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Line 6

The car does have an inline 6, so it sounds like the only usable parts would be the clutch pedal assembly . . . so I might as well consider going with a V8 to match the new clutch/flywheel/beehousing if I go with the column to floor manual shifter

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike S.
Nashville, TN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts