Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im done with my 383 bottom end and im curious to know which heads will work best for my application. its got a eagle crank, eagle h-beam rods and forged srp pistons. the cam duration at .050 is 250/260 and lift is .532/.555" ive been thinking about the AFR 195 eliminators or even the 210 eliminators.Its goin in my 68 that will see some street use. im new to this forum but everybody here seems to know what there talking about.

·
Registered
508 Posts
IMO if your dead set on afr i would go with the 195's. not sure what your comp. is but with the cam at only mid 500 lift the 195's will give you alot more velocity through your runner. alot of people make the mistake of puting to much head on a motor and will infact make less power. a very good set of heads for your combo would be the Edelbrock Victor Jr head. they work very well on 383 and smaller C.I. motors. and again with the cam around the 550 range you dont need a head that produces its peak flow over .600 lift. hope this helps and good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
x2 on what he said up der ^^^^^ you dont need to go to big on port size its always better to be conservative the motor will pull better you could go with dart pro 1 platnum aluminum heads with 200cc intake ports this is prolly closer to your combo..... well its in the middle of the two you mentioned :yes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my compression will be just shy of 11:1 and ive had my eye on the 195s. afr made over 500hp and 500 ft. lbs of torque with the same heads less compression and a way smaller cam. i just want to be over 500hp but keep the torque up there as well.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
id like to stay on pump gas so im gonna go with aluminum heads to aviod pinging. and ive heard some good and bad about the patriot heads. im just woundering if the afrs are worth every penny. my goal is to hit in the low 11s on pump gas. i might use a wet nitrous kit if i cage the car. tanks for all your input its narrowing things down quite a bit. theres just too many combos out there to choose from.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The afr is a great head. You realy cant go wrong with any of the top name heads. If you like what you see with the afr's go with them. You will not be disepointed, we were just giving some good alternatives to look at as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys im goin with the afr 195 eliminators. there not the cheapest but this car isnt just a slap together and go kinda project. ive been workin on this car for almost 3 years and been building up the car to handle some power. thanks for all your input guys im sure ill have more questions down the road. im thinking of doin a mini tub and possibly a cage. but well see how far i get this summer with the motor.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You can' t go wrong with the AFR's the new eliminators are supposed to be alot better than the 1st design. Spend the money and get the CNC comp port job. I had a set of the old 195's for my wife's 383 they were awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea .i was gonna pucker up and get the comp ported heads cause there flow numbers are awsome when you look at lift vs cfm of air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts