Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at different ways to protect polished aluminum and it looks like you will have no choice but to just polish... polish... polish. Is there any type of clear paint that will NOT turn yellow? I am wanting to clear coat my valve covers, air cleaner, pulleys, and a few brackets. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,642 Posts
Ceramic clear-coat is superior to powder coat in both longevity and heat and chemical resistance. For valve covers and pulleys, powder coating is OK though. For an intake manifold or anything gas might spill on, I like ceramic coating a lot better. For ultra high-temp resistance, ceramic is the best.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Zoop's seal is supposed to "seal" polished aluminum. You apply it just like polishing the aluminum.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I see Eastwood Diamond clear is really good and won't turn yellow. States that it's good for applications up to 350 degrees so I would imagine it would be safe to use on the valve covers, air cleaner, and pulleys/brackets.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I bought a zoop seal kit. Did all four of my wheels and I have enough left over to do like four more sets. It goes a long way. It was easy to apply and didnt change to look of the wheels at all. Time will tell. But I did a HUGE amount of searching for any negative results and didnt find any. Ill zoop anything I have thats polished aluminum and see how it works.

Its a weird product. It goes on really thin, you think its not doing anything. But I did lay it on a lil too thick (hard to do) on the back side of the wheel and the thicker layer allowed me to see it hardens to a really hard substance. But you really need to follow the directions and just put a skim coat on. I think I read somewhere that it has a ceramic in it, or acts like a ceramic. Its really weird stuff though. Got some on my fingers and it was hell to remove it when it dried. I do wear gloves now :) JR

·
7,006 Posts
It will work on other soft metals like brass. Also it will protect not just polished metal. Polished metal is only one method of finish. Other methods of finishing metal can be protected as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.