Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at different ways to protect polished aluminum and it looks like you will have no choice but to just polish... polish... polish. Is there any type of clear paint that will NOT turn yellow? I am wanting to clear coat my valve covers, air cleaner, pulleys, and a few brackets. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
Ceramic clear-coat is superior to powder coat in both longevity and heat and chemical resistance. For valve covers and pulleys, powder coating is OK though. For an intake manifold or anything gas might spill on, I like ceramic coating a lot better. For ultra high-temp resistance, ceramic is the best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Doesn't Eastwood have a rattle can product that would work in this application? Thought I saw something on the Speed channel about this.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Zoop's seal is supposed to "seal" polished aluminum. You apply it just like polishing the aluminum.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I see Eastwood Diamond clear is really good and won't turn yellow. States that it's good for applications up to 350 degrees so I would imagine it would be safe to use on the valve covers, air cleaner, and pulleys/brackets.

·
6,500 Posts
See Zoopseal as mentioned: http://www.zoops.com/product-listing.asp?ID=15

I had a polished aluminum timing chain cover ans I just got a clear in a rattle can and gave it a light coat before putting on the water pump. All you want to do is seal the finish. Not sure I would do it on just any polished part though. Zoopseal is what can protect any soft metal.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
por15 makes a clear just for the purpose of coating polished metal. I've never used it myself so I'm unsure as to how it holds up.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I bought a zoop seal kit. Did all four of my wheels and I have enough left over to do like four more sets. It goes a long way. It was easy to apply and didnt change to look of the wheels at all. Time will tell. But I did a HUGE amount of searching for any negative results and didnt find any. Ill zoop anything I have thats polished aluminum and see how it works.

Its a weird product. It goes on really thin, you think its not doing anything. But I did lay it on a lil too thick (hard to do) on the back side of the wheel and the thicker layer allowed me to see it hardens to a really hard substance. But you really need to follow the directions and just put a skim coat on. I think I read somewhere that it has a ceramic in it, or acts like a ceramic. Its really weird stuff though. Got some on my fingers and it was hell to remove it when it dried. I do wear gloves now :) JR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts