Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to poke the bear here:poke:! Let me start off by saying, I've been doing my fair share of research and utilizing the amazing search feature. There is a plethora of information available to us lucky members who don't mind a little reading:eek:! I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death for a lot of us on here :horse: but I'm a phone call away from dropping some good change and don't know which product to go with:call:. I'm an engine and body man by trade so chassis/suspension isn't exactly my forte. I've yet to see a thread compare (apologies to our moderators if there is) the Chassisworks and Smith Racecraft front ends along with the DSE and RS Front Ends. Price not being a huge factor. What would you guys choose? Bear in mind, I am primarily looking for protouring with a twin turbo'd ls '65 pushing 1000hp, open to 4link or torque arm in the rear. I plan to let it loose on some autocross tracks and still enjoy driving it home on the streets as well as performing well enough at the drags. I've heard guys say the Smith isn't very streetble, CA and DSE isn't ideal drag/street, and i just now learned a RS bolt on clip existed. Anyhow, I realize you can't always have your cake and eat it too but for nice chunks of change there's gotta be something!? Any weigh ins?:ragtop:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a Smith Racecraft, but it's primarily going to be used at the track. The car has become a bit of a project so is still not 100% complete. I haven't run it yet, but it seems to be a really nice piece of work.

It was easy to install, is a lot lighter than the factory front end, and has tons of travel. Lot of room for any type of oil pan.

In terms of streetability, the steering radius is greatly reduced over stock, and there are no inner fenders.

I was able to use the factory rad support but I had to modify it a bit. The only headers I found that would fit are Lemons. The Lemons are pricey but great. I've never seen a set of headers that are so easy to install.

That clip also centers the drivetrain making my TH350 and scatter blanket a very tight fit with my factory trans tunnel. But it's doable.

I'm super happy with it so far. :)

Chris.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
you gotta try them all for a few miles and then decide what works for your kinda driving
I could tell you how great mine is but I may not fit for you

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Smith Racecraft, but it's primarily going to be used at the track. The car has become a bit of a project so is still not 100% complete. I haven't run it yet, but it seems to be a really nice piece of work.

It was easy to install, is a lot lighter than the factory front end, and has tons of travel. Lot of room for any type of oil pan.

In terms of streetability, the steering radius is greatly reduced over stock, and there are no inner fenders.

I was able to use the factory rad support but I had to modify it a bit. The only headers I found that would fit are Lemons. The Lemons are pricey but great. I've never seen a set of headers that are so easy to install.

That clip also centers the drivetrain making my TH350 and scatter blanket a very tight fit with my factory trans tunnel. But it's doable.

I'm super happy with it so far. :)

Chris.
Thanks Chris
Love hearing from members who run Smiths! I really dig their construction and track reputation. I just worry about its less road friendly features vs. the competitors. Sounds like a killer ride you're building there! If you happen to get it on the track anytime soon let me know how you it works! Their impressive pieces!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you gotta try them all for a few miles and then decide what works for your kinda driving
I could tell you how great mine is but I may not fit for you
Agreed. If only there was a way to test out/drive all these front ends and see what's what ? I have seen Evan run little sweetie and the tci setup at good guys. It's a really nice kit, I was however leaning a bit more toward the CA. Different strokes but fun regardless

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either TCI pro-touring or Chassisworks pro-touring, All others are either overpriced or don't provide all the goods.
That's pretty much what I'm gathering from everybody. But you don't think DSE or RS provide with all the goods? The $ difference between chassis works and DSE isn't too far actually. And I have yet to speak to or hear about anyone running a RS front. Makes it hard to compare ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am running the TCI Pro Touring front clip and am very satisfied. Everything fit with no issues and any question I had was answered within minutes of calling their support line. Evan Dalley at TCI knows the kit inside and out. Him and Ryan Buck run this front end on their cars and have really showed what they can do once adjusted for the track if you want to go that route. Or you can just adjust it for the road like I did and enjoy the car on any road with no issue.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...Price not being a huge factor. What would you guys choose?
Except, there is a huge price differntial between the clips that are available. At what point does price become a factor for you? $3k, $4k, $6k, $8k+?

If cost were not an object, I'd personally go with the DSE setup. The DSE clips have shown consistent high performance across multiple vehicles with tall spindles, modular hubs, superior rack and sway bar mounting, and ability to use C5/C6 brake packages. The fender panels are also leaps and bounds ahead of the other offerings in regards to appearance; they look like OE parts instead of simple brake-bent sheet. The Roadster Shop clip would probably follow in 2nd.

In the more affordable sector, I'd probably go with the Speedway or TCI pro-touring setups based on what I've been able to glean from photos and descriptions.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,133 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
Back when I first built my '64 pro street in 1994 there were a lot fewer choices specifically geared towards the Chevy II if you wanted to upgrade the front suspension. You basically had the choice of a weld-in Mustang II crossmember kit from a company called Arizona Nova or a new strut suspension adaptation from Fatman Fabrications that had just came out in 1994. I went with the Arizona Nova crossmember kit.

About a year later (1995) Heidts came out with the 1st bolt-in Mustang II clip kit for Chevy II. It became the one to get and for a few years the Heidts clip was the ticket that everyone wanted. The Mustang II suspension is still very nice even by today's standards.

A few years later we started seeing copycat Mustang II clips for Chevy II and by the late 90s started seeing new clip designs. Now there are several designs and choices out there and they are all good.

Most of the larger companies like Heidts and TCI have more than one option for Chevy II.

With Heidts you can now get three different clips for Chevy II. Chassisworks and TCI each have like three to choose from too.

·
Registered
1963 Chevrolet II Nova SS
649 Posts
All that have been mentioned are good systems. However, since you plan on doing the rear suspension as well...take a look at Schwartz Performance. Once you add up all the extras like brakes, headers, inner fenders, body fabrication, etc. I found it to be less expensive or at least competitively priced then DSE or Chassisworks and had features that the others missed such as ability to run a 345 rear tire, full float axle, and removes the load from the body that only a full frame can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts