Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have sort of a weird situation. I am in the planning stages of a build (no car yet). I am pretty handy and have done quite a bit with classic cars in the past. My issue is that I don't have anywhere to work on a car. I plan on doing a mini tub and an engine swap. Everything else I can do in the driveway at the place I currently rent. Are there places where you can rent a small warehouse space or bay to work on your car for a few months? I am confident that I can get everything I need to do there done in a couple of months max. I have found a few storage places that have "hobby" units that seem pretty reasonable. I just need to check the particulars. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible. I was just wondering if anyone else had any unique or interesting ideas? Thanks advance for any help or advice.

P.S. I am in Tucson, AZ

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Are you renting a house or apartment/condo. Does your place have a garage, carport or just an uncovered parking area. There is a member here that put up a portable carport in his driveway and did a lot of work there. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Having a tree in the way is usually not a problem in Tucson :D
I worked for years in the dirt until we bought this house and was able to build a shop. Restored a 70 Chevelle in the dirt when living in Pinetop. Plywood was used under jack stands and larger pieces under floor jacks, engine hoists and transmission jacks. Inconvenient but makes it safer and easier than working in gravel or dirt.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I worked for years in the dirt until we bought this house and was able to build a shop. Restored a 70 Chevelle in the dirt when living in Pinetop. Plywood was used under jack stands and larger pieces under floor jacks, engine hoists and transmission jacks. Inconvenient but makes it safer and easier than working in gravel or dirt.
Wow Phillip, when you do become so darn hot. My goodness gracious. Is that your neice you wanted to introduce me to.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I also need a place I can lock up. I can't store an engine out in the open all day without worrying it will go missing.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
I would be happy to let you work on it here, there is a concrete pad in front of the shop to work on but you will still be in the dirt when not so the access is not blocked. The shop is only big enough for one car at a time. I have had engines, tires, wheels, tools and many other items outside, nothing has gone missing in the 7 years I have lived here. A few days ago I forgot to lock the truck and remove the keys, it was still there in the morning.

Do not know your financial situation but there are 15 homes in this area that are repossessed and selling for under $40k. Makes my value go down but it is out of my control.

Sharing warehouse space seems to me like it would be harder to keep parts from disappearing. There would be strangers with access that you can not control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts