Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to remove my heater assembly to clean out the #@(*&$ mouse nest (see other thread) and in my usual "hey, I should really fix these other 3 things while I'm in here" way, I decided I don't like where the coil is mounted.

I have access to the bolts now that the heater is out of the way, but I can't decide how/where to put the new coil on.

The current coil is an ancient Accel Super Coil, it's currently mounted on the firewall...right in the path of the heater core hose outlets.

The new coil is an MSD Blaster II (can style) Do these need to be mounted right side up, or can they go sideways? Anyone running theirs on the intake manifold mounting spot? I'm running a Victor Jr, and there are mounting bosses on the intake that look right for a coil, but...I'm not sure if it will actually fit there with the air cleaner in place.

...or should I just leave it alone?

(old picture, but this shows the current location)

·
Registered
40 Posts
On most race cars

Here on most of the race cars, the coil and the ignition box are put in the glove box by most guys. On my buddy's 10.5 car he is running an MSD coil mounted sideways, but it isn't the can style.....it's the little plastic pyramid shaped one.

But I personally think putting all that stuff in the glove box looks much nicer, I plan on doing that when I switch to a digital 6 plus.

David

·
Registered
265 Posts
I mounted mine sideways. Were your ballist resistor is. Works good for me and my coil wire is a little shorter ,being that close!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have been mounting mine inside the car on the firewall for 15 or 20 yrs. I always mount coils upright. Coil is out of the road, close to the ignition box which is also inside the car and all you have is a coil wire through the firewall. Use good wires and a insulator or bulkhead coil wire connector and you be all set. That has worked well for me. RM

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Patman, there's a vendor out there that makes a red external coil and a chrome external coil. The red one is JUNK, repeat JUNK!!! If you got it, can you exchange it for the chrome one? The Summit G5215 coil is exactly the same as the other vendor's chrome one. Made in the same plant, just labeled differently. This was confirmed by IgnitionMan.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
jacobgiles said:
NAPA IC12 is a good coil, they are the EXACT same as the MSD 8200 chrome Blaster II's, only painted black, good coils.
As well as the CarQuest 26189 coil (same as NAPA, MSD).

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
Is the compamy that makes the bad coil sound like LSD? Because I have an one of the LSD coils and didn't know they were a bad deal.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
Is the compamy that makes the bad coil sound like LSD? Because I have an one of the LSD coils and didn't know they were a bad deal.
Just so I conform to the rules here, I ain't gonna say. Everything else they make seems to be top-notch stuff. Not sure whey their red coils are junk. I've personally seen two fail in a SHOW car :eek:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also mounted mine inside it really cleans up the engine compartment plus gets it away from the engine heat (dont know if that makes a difference or not). The bulk head fittings are less than $15, but you do need two coil wires one on each side of the fitting.

·
Super Moderator
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Lots of feedback on this one, thanks!

Looks like the simplest thing is to put the stuff inside under the dash. I had thought about that, I was worried that the HT lead from the coil would get too long. Anyway, I'll probably end up mounting it inside when I put the MSD in.

As for the Blaster 2 coil, it's a red one...BUT...it's a gen-yew-wine NOS "Made in USA" one that I bought about 6 years ago, and has been sitting in the box since. I think the complaints started after they moved production overseas, so this one should be OK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts