Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do you guys buy metal? i am looking for some pieces of metal to so some patchwork on the floorboards, i do not know where to start looking. just wanting some ideas on where to start.
thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yellow pages...just look for a local steel or sheet metal distributor. Or, you could call a couple of welding shops and ask them. You can also find smaller stuff at a local scrap yard.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i checked the jello pages and found a metal supply house... ya can prolly ask yer local body shop where they get theirs from too ;)

prolly didn't help much... but i tried ;)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I get mine from either my local Ace Hardware, True Value hardware, or Lowe's, which ever I'm closer to at the time I need it.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
where to look for metal??

The quarter panels on the neighbors Mustang??:rolleyes: :D

You will want to make sure you get the right gauge steel for replacing pieces of the floor board. You want to be sure you maintain strength there. Most welding shops will have the steel you need.

Randy (if the mustang don't work out!!):D :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the input. yes that is my next question, what size gauge are the floorboards?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
A/C shops the kind that build air ducts. they usually have scrap that is very big and will give it away. thats where i get mine.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was in a pinch this week and sent one of the installers to ACE to pick me up some, all they had was a piece maybe 18"x18" and it was 5 dollars. I'd been using up an old jetta that we have out back for sheet metal for a while, but it's starting to disappear quickly, and most of the good metal is gone. It was nice though, whenever I needed a certan shape, all I needed to go was grab the cordless sawzall and find something close, sure beats the hell out of having to make each and every piece of metal.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You might want to think about replacing the section of floor pan with a new pan. I've found that way to be easier, and more sanitary than a flatmetal repair job. Floor pans, aren't that expensive.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Schonyenko2 said:
You might want to think about replacing the section of floor pan with a new pan. I've found that way to be easier, and more sanitary than a flatmetal repair job. Floor pans, aren't that expensive.
I agree with that. The price of the patch panel is nothing compaired to the amount of labor you have to put in to a flat piece of steel to make nice looking contours. Much quicker and cleaner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts