Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to hang my own exhaust. I have a 71 that orginially housed a 6 cyl, so I don't have the factory mounting points for the dual exhuast.

I purchased the mandrel bent dual kit from JC Whitney, and the pipes look nice and line up well enough. My only complaint is the hangers that came with the kit seem to be crap (stip of steel with holes in it) and no instructions.

So what types of hangers should I use and where do I attach them to the car?

The rear seatbelt bolts look attractive and line up with the outlet of the mufflers, but when I tried to thread a nut onto them, the threads just turned to powder and fell off?:confused:

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi Nate,

I put that same exhaust system on my 74 a few years ago and ran into the same mounting issues.

I used some universal exhaust pipe hangers instead of the cheezy looking ones that came with the kit. I got them at the local auto parts store. They look like this:

I too noticed that the rear seatbelt bolts were in a good location to use as mounting studs for the exhaust hangers. The threads on mine were okay but not long enough to hold the hanger and still accept a nut. So I removed the bolts, went to the local hardware store, and bought a couple grade 8 bolts with the same size thread but slightly longer. They worked out perfectly for holding the exhaust pipe hangers.

For the tailpipes, I used a couple more of those universal hangers. I bent the straps on them so they would line up with the pre-existing holes in the subframe rails for the stock tailpipe hangers.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Ditto. Thats what I did except I used the flowmaster kit. Funny thing is I got the idea about the seatbelt bolt locations from another person who owned a Nova. I used the stock locations at the subframe as well with teh same universal straps.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shaggy said:
Ditto. Thats what I did except I used the flowmaster kit. Funny thing is I got the idea about the seatbelt bolt locations from another person who owned a Nova. I used the stock locations at the subframe as well with teh same universal straps.
Shaggy and Ray! Thanks a ton for the advice.

It is amazing what a little advice can enable someone to do. When I first saw those seatbelt bolts and my attempt to use them failed. I just assumed getting to those bolts from inside the car and removing the seats etc. was just not an option. I was about to hand over $300 to have "professionals" hang my exhuast.

But now that you guys said the seatbelt bolt works, I walked out to the garage, removed the seat, and unscrewed the bolts in less than 5 minutes. Unreal, it was easy. I might not even have tried if you guys didn't send me the advie.

Thanks again, and keep helping people!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts