Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... new member here from SW Virginia. I recently acquired a '72 Rally Nova from my mom. This car was essentially parked in 1989 and has been garage kept ever since. Several years ago, we got it out and got it started so the motor will turn over. The rear quarter panels need replacing but there are replacement quarter panels in a box on the garage rafters. This was my mom's baby back in the day but she is passing it on to me. Sitting beside it is a 65 mustang but I've always been partial to Novas.

Anyway, where should I start with this bad boy? With the fact that it has been sitting so long, what should my first steps be? Ideally, I'd like it completely restored but I realize that takes a lot of money and time. I realize it will probably take years doing a little here and there to finally get it in the shape I want. Also, I'm not sure I want to sink a ton of money into it as I have kids and other priorities. I mainly want it running and looking good and then go from there. Here's a pic of both cars. BTW: I'm not really a fan of the air shock lifted rear end. I guess it was popular back in the day?

Edit: Not sure why my pic is rotated wrong. It is saved in the right orientation on my PC

Thanks
Donnie

20181202_130229.jpg

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Very cool.

My approach would be:

Get the engine running properly first: Oil, coolant, fresh gas, etc.

Safety and additional operational necessities next: Brakes, transmission, lights, additional fluids, spark plugs/wires, etc.

Then do what you can when you can. (Tires sooner than later, most likely.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
X2
Get it to run, brake ( also check/replace the hoses ) and drive first. Like said above,replace the tires! And don't forget the lights.
Next check all the bushings ( don't forget the motor mounts ) and things like shocks .
By now you will have a overview of the condition of the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
great looking nova to start with. I laugh now but back in the 70's the first thing we did was put air shocks on the back to raise it up. To much air and you had to keep your foot on the firewall or you would slide to the steering wheel. Good luck which ever way you go with it. It's nice to see it stay in the family.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
What they said. Sell the air shocks on eBay as vintage!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that gives me a good start. The first step is uncovering it from all the junk that is currently on top of it. Mom and dad don't want to admit it but I'm pretty sure they are hoarders. :)

Just so I have an idea...what would a decent paint job run me? The body is in good shape albeit the new rear quarter panels that need to be installed. I haven't totally decided yet but may go with a different color so I know the door jambs & etc will need to be painted as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Super cool car! I have a 72 Rally as well, same color, but white stripe and white vinyl top
Deven

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Start with a plan. If you aim for nothing, you will hit it every time.

As for paint, get ready to start crying. A "decent" paint job will run into the thousands if you pay someone else for it. And, no, I don't mean SEMA quality. Paint materials are expensive, and the labor to get it right is even more expensive. If you find someone who will do it on the cheap, even if it looks good to start with, you're likely to have problems a few years down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts