Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the going rate for cutting down a rear end? I'm looking to mini tub and relocate the springs for some real tires. Also, should I go with 9"ends? Will they work with my stock drums? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
there is a guy out at long beach swap meet that builds 9" rear ends complete drum to drum for under $1500. seems like a good deal to me for the 9" with gears of choice, posi and axles for the price. His name is Mike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a guy out at long beach swap meet that builds 9" rear ends complete drum to drum for under $1500. seems like a good deal to me for the 9" with gears of choice, posi and axles for the price. His name is Mike.
Thanks for the reply, however, I'm sticking with my 8.5". It'll take a beating when built right for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Are you doing the mini tub yourself? I would love to get some tire under mine. Is there a good place to have a mini tub done around here?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Are you doing the mini tub yourself? I would love to get some tire under mine. Is there a good place to have a mini tub done around here?
ask dale (teddisnoke) how he feels about mini-tubbing a 1st or 2nd gen. you might laugh

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I'm going to attempt to tub & relocate the perches myself. Just need to brush up on my welding or have my buddy burn it in after I tack it up. I'm dying for some meat. I can't really hook with 4.56 gears & 225/60/14 street tires, :eek:, but I'm still going racin' Thursday in the 1/8!

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
ask dale (teddisnoke) how he feels about mini-tubbing a 1st or 2nd gen. you might laugh
What:confused: He wants to mini tub my 1st Gen:D

Ya, I'm going to attempt to tub & relocate the perches myself. Just need to brush up on my welding or have my buddy burn it in after I tack it up. I'm dying for some meat. I can't really hook with 4.56 gears & 225/60/14 street tires, :eek:, but I'm still going racin' Thursday in the 1/8!
nice:yes: I guess i better learn how to weld:yes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
mini tubbing a first gen IMO isnt worth the work to gain a inch wider tire,iam haveing my car medium tubbed to get alot more tire under it and keep the backseat,move the rearend back one inch to run larger dia. tires,i will be running a four speed with a pretty wild 336 ci. engine thats not really street friendly.car is at plumrats shop getting totally redone and the tub job is just one thing that has to be done. mini tub is just that to run a mini tire:yes:
don
ps going with a dana 60 det.locker 456 gears summers brothers axles,iam done with the weak chevy rearends

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
if you want look at www.moserengineering.com for the housing ends you want to run basically its a big bering ford with a gm backing plate all you have to do is grind out your backing plates or you can buy there drum brake kit this will allow you to run a press in bering ( no c clips ) also if you do get your housing cut down have them weld the akle tubes to the third member cause gm just dimpled them so they have the tendancy to slip a little

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you want look at www.moserengineering.com for the housing ends you want to run basically its a big bering ford with a gm backing plate all you have to do is grind out your backing plates or you can buy there drum brake kit this will allow you to run a press in bering ( no c clips ) also if you do get your housing cut down have them weld the akle tubes to the third member cause gm just dimpled them so they have the tendancy to slip a little
Thanks. The tubes are already welded to the third member. Any ideas of JUST labor to cut & weld the ends on? I'd do it myself but I don't have access to a rear end fixture.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If any of you guys follow PSCA in Outlaw there is a 70 nova ran by Rich Ziering. His partner and chief is Brian Smith. We call him "little brian" he lives in corona or ramona or somewhere in so cal and he does some awesome fab work. You can leave a message for him on the PSCA message board or talk to him at the next PSCA race or WCHRA race.

Here is his website:
www.lilbrimotorsports.com

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not usre if you are aware of this but you should be able to get a lot more then 225's under the stock wheel well - a 67 has more room then my 64.
I have NITTO drag radials 245-55?? 16's - stock spring location (with multi leaves there a bit wider) no mini tub but I run a shortened axle from the guy at Long Beach swap meet.
I had a stock rear end and it was less $$ buying the 9" then rebuilding my old axle when you add up the cost of what it would take to get apples to apples to what he had to offer.
I also got monster finned drum brakes from a crown vic out of the deal.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Have you seen the "Maxi-Tub" we do at the shop? 6" on an early Mustang--about 8" on a Mopar! Call Dale for an appointment. I think what the others are referring to is the fact that you don't gain much room in an early Nova without cutting the rails. Some cars can get quite a bit of space just going to the edge of the rail, or maybe notching one end--it's a little more work on a 1st or 2nd gen.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tub, Mini-Tub, Maxi-Tub what's the difference? I'm going to take some tubs (not the stock wheel tubs) and tub the car to the frame rail. I'm moving the springs and want to cut down the rear end. I belive I can fit a 295 Drag Radial in there doing this "tub". Am I incorrect?

Also, it's a labor of love, so I don't care how long it takes. Gets me out of the house and in the garage!:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I belive I can fit a 295 Drag Radial in there doing this "tub". Am I incorrect?
I'm not sure you can squeeze that tire in there without notching the frame. If your car sat higher, with a little trimming of the bottom of the wheel opening, a 275/60 will fit without any other work--but it has to sit kinda high.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
It's a neater job to just widen the stock tubs with a strip of sheetmetal; especially since it's not even 2" wider than stock.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
What I said to Aron was that with a first generation car, you only can squeeze about 1 3/4" out of a mini-tub, if you push it right up onto the edge. You CAN get a big tire in there. Just go to Mikes Fotki website and look at Dave Henry's AFX '65 Nova. I put a small notch into the framerail and installed those huge Firestone slicks!!!
Its alot of work to get a small amount out of an early first generation Nova. You can get a 255, possibly even a 275 with some nibbling on the front edge of the fender lip. But it gets close. I always shoot for a thumbs width all the way around the tire. That accounts for any sidewall flex.
Dale

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
When I did my minitub job on my 62 Nova, I did not notch the frame rails, just trimed the top overhang and welded up the seam. Minitubed with a 2" strip of metal with 1/8 of overlap. (1 3/4" actual inner wheel well movement) I managed to get my 275/50-15 BF Goodrich Drag radials tucked in with about 1/2" all the way around. A nice 10" of rubber on the ground.
You can look in my photo bucket account for photos. Click on the "minitub" folder.
www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa
Ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts