Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Someone who doesn't mind losing the listing fee.

Looks like a nice car, but it's a mix of custom and clone-stock. Sorta an odd mix if you ask me. I think he'll be holding on to that car.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
everybody has a L79 ?:confused: if you want to make it a recreation car,first paint it with an original color.second,put some stock rally rims on it. or to make us nova guys happy,sell it as a newly restored pro touring 67 nova ss with a L79 style engine:D i liked the other $59,000 blue nova better.:)

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
the prices are probly what his buddy paid to have the car done. people dont undestand when you pay someone to restore a car the labor you pay them isnt part of the value of the car..

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
big dog ss said:
the prices are probly what his buddy paid to have the car done. people dont undestand when you pay someone to restore a car the labor you pay them isnt part of the value of the car..
I work in a resto shop and it not uncommon to have twice that in a car.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
While it may not be uncommon, that does not make the car value increase to the point that the labor cost in covered. If you are tryijng to make a buck flipping classic cars, don't waste your money getting a pro shop to do the restoration. Also!!! Don't call it a restoration after you have modified it, and/or cloned it!!!!!

Randy (If it's not like original, it's not restored!):p

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I agree with you 100%. all of the cars we are restoring are worth more than they are putting into them.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts

·
13,683 Posts
It isn't even a correct recreation. His car is a 67 and he's built it as a 1966 L79.....almost :rolleyes: . The few 67s that were built had open element air cleaners, cast iron intakes and Q-jet carbs amongst other differences. As others have already indicated, I think he's trying to recover as much of the fortune spent on this car as possible.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
CdnL79 said:
It isn't even a correct recreation. His car is a 67 and he's built it as a 1966 L79.....almost :rolleyes: . The few 67s that were built had open element air cleaners, cast iron intakes and Q-jet carbs amongst other differences. As others have already indicated, I think he's trying to recover as much of the fortune spent on this car as possible.
Bob
His steering wheel is not a 67 ss !

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
'67 L79 Hp?

CdnL79 said:
Bob
Hey Bob - What's the conventional wisdom on a HP rating for the few that were built? Did the cast iron intake & Q-jet detune them to 325hp like the factory did on the L79 Chevelles after 1965?

·
13,683 Posts
L79Fan said:
Hey Bob - What's the conventional wisdom on a HP rating for the few that were built? Did the cast iron intake & Q-jet detune them to 325hp like the factory did on the L79 Chevelles after 1965?
There was lots of playing around with advertised cubic inches and horsepower ratings during the muscle car era. For instance, the designated 396 engine in the 1970 L78s was really 402 CID, but somehow still was advertised at 375HP the same as the 68s and 69s which actually had 396s. The 1967 L79 Chevy II was probably somewhat detuned compared to the 66. Whether it was 25 HP is debatable. Some say it was done to draw attention away from Chevy IIs to the new Camaro. Others think it was a result of the pending arrival of the Chevy II big block engines, the same reason the 1274 1968 L79 Chevy IIs were also rated at 325 HP. It would have been hard to market the new L34 350HP big block when a less expensive and lighter small block had the same horsepower. That's generally considered to be the reason the L79 Chevelles got knocked back to 325 HP, too. So, who knows whether they were really detuned or 'promotionally detuned.'
Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts