Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are at the finishing stages of our front disc brake conversion on our 66 Nova with the original 230 straight 6. Is there a proper place to connect the vacuum or do we need to purchase an electric vacuum assist pump? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Would you mean . . . . . "vac for u'r brake booster" ?
For my 69 (I never had power brakes = when, I had my stock 1bbl carb & intake) . . . .
But , in this picture . . . 'There was a "vac port" = between the carb & the valve cover . . . .
you can see - - the vac hose from my PCV valve , going to that (vac) port ...... (you just can't see the port) . . . (it's there = = = NOT Hooked to the carb) .

Then, it shows another "vac port" on the side of my "intake manifold" .................... (beside my throttle linkage) .
# 1 - - with my stock 1bbl carb ........... but with "manual drum brakes"

either port would work . . . . For my car , I use a vacuum gauge inside (under my dash) . . . .
that is "what is hooked up to the manifold port" . . either of those ports = is Full - Time vacuum source .

basically . . . . the same principal . . . . as my current set-up . . . . still using "full - time manifold vac" .
just look over your intake manifold ....................... look & see what ports are there .

# 2 - - my current carb , still using "manifold vac" ; for my 'power front disc brakes w/booster .

I hope this makes sense . . . . jim

Reactions: RifRaf

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
On 1st and 2nd gens with L6 motors GM ran the power brake vacuum line off the full manifold vacuum port on the outer side of the manifold next to the carb. You can see it in Jim's #1 pic in front of the throttle linkage. It will likely have a pipe plug on your manifold. The inboard port runs the PCV, as pictured in his setup.

The screw in vacuum port was basically the same across Chevy cars / trucks in the period from what I have seen. Unless you are going bone stock, I would use whatever works properly. Something like this (not saying this would work) - CHEVY FORD VACUUM PORT FITTING 90 DEGREE FITTING FACTORY BRAKE BOOSTER | eBay

Reactions: Twinshadows

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the information. That is exactly the location we were thinking.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Would you mean . . . . . "vac for u'r brake booster" ?
"joemoda66" ............................... you said just that in u'r 'Post Title' ............................ sorry .

(still ............. "pictures are good" ) .

jim

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
10 - 4 , I do agree . . . . . (y)

and , not trying be be a 'smart-ass' - here ............ you may want too use = like "Fuel - injection" rubber
hose (or a "stiffer wall type hose" , than just fuel hose) . . . . . . you don't want that rubber - hose too
colaspe ; and cut-off the vacuum to u'r 'booster' .
It may never happen . . . . . and, that will work . . . . but could get "softer or mushy" (down th' road) .

just saying . . . . . . u'r brake M/C - worked out great = with those "both side ports" ............ (another) ... :) .

jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense to the comment. Someone else told us that but we just wanted to make it work. We got it all set up and started bleeding. It’s leaking between the master cylinder and booster. It’s my 17 year old son’s car. He is is school to be a mechanic. I am not mechanically inclined, but learning a great deal and having fun. The whole thing was a big job - tie rods, ball joints, shocks, and spring. I am looking forward to seeing the car not on blocks in the middle of my driveway.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
Noticed in your picture, that is a V8 throttle arm coming off the firewall. Hence why your throttle rod is "modified". If you want to get the right stuff in there shoot me a PM.

May also want to run the VIN on the car. See if it was an L6 or V8 car originally.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
May also want to run the VIN on the car. See if it was an L6 or V8 car originally.
Good info , Adam .

joemoda ................ write down all u'r "vin number" & u'r "cowl tag numbers" ....................

then, check here :

click on the top header area . . . . find u'r year .

(also) ............ think about buying a "Factory Assembly Manual" = FAM = for u'r year Nova .
GREAT too have ............. (around 25.00 bucks) .

later , jim

my vin #

delete ............ jim

my cowl tag #'s

my engine numbers & matching "partial vin # "

delete ............ jim

just FYI

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My son previously ran all numbers and it is original. Thanks for the info. I will look into the FAM.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I spoke with him over PM. Something with the throttle assembly broke and has been repaired causing the "modification" to the rod. I brought it up as an L6 in a V8 car is not unheard of, and has been the case where a desired V8 has been pulled somewhere in the cars life. Never hurts to check.

I am going to sort through the tonnage Monday and see if I have the correct parts to get him back in the game. I also made some scans of the assembly manual for that area I will pass on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts