Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1963 convertible
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I finally introduced myself last night in the form of a very long story ? and have decided to land here for now. I have a 63 convertible that my mom bought new. The first thing I need help with I feel is rather silly and embarrassing but here goes...what is it supposed to look like under the hood? I have the original straight 6 and I can't for the life of me find any pics of a clean restored one as everybody seems to have converted to a V8. I gotta get mine show ready and don't know what to shoot for. Anybody out there have pics to share?

·
6,557 Posts
Hi everyone. I finally introduced myself last night in the form of a very long story ? and have decided to land here for now. I have a 63 convertible that my mom bought new. The first thing I need help with I feel is rather silly and embarrassing but here goes...what is it supposed to look like under the hood? I have the original straight 6 and I can't for the life of me find any pics of a clean restored one as everybody seems to have converted to a V8. I gotta get mine show ready and don't know what to shoot for. Anybody out there have pics to share?
First of all on your searches, don't limit yourself just to the Chevy II body style. Look around at the same era Chevrolet vehicles and you will get an idea as to how you might want things to appear.

Like anything else, you can make it look original down to the small details like correct hose clamps, correct labeled hoses, correct colors on different parts, unpainted bare parts, era correct belts, proper wire connections and terminations, correct wire coverings, and the list goes on and on. Whether it is a stock 6 cylinder car or a stock V8 car of the same era and brand, a lot of things are consistent between the two.

If the car is original and it hasn't been monkeyed with too much, be careful not to destroy markings that may be present and then document them. Also get out your camera and take high resolution pictures of things and get up close with the shot.

I bought my 73 in 77 and was not concerned the least about retaining originality or documenting things since I wanted a cutomized car. Gone are the details and information I will never get back. On a 74 I bought I got better with documenting things but still was learning. I then bought a 68 and took my time removing old paint, grease, oil, and grime to expose things that I could then either leave alone and document or if restoring something had a baseline to get back to. To me it was neat cleaning some suspension parts off to see inspection marks with dabs of paint on then from 50 years ago.

If you are documenting things, things like the engine block should have numbers either stamped onto it or cast into it and the same hold true for a lot of other parts and by doing some searches you might find out what you have is probabaly original or it has been replaced at some point in it's life. Just like on my 68 with the 230 motor, after going through things I found out I had a 69 Camaro automatic transmission carb and the wrong water pump and I can only guess as to what happened there as I have no paper trail. I have since found the correct carb for it and the hunt goes on for the correct water pump.

The biggest thing is to enjoy the car and make it safe and reliable. On my 68 it had been sitting for years and I went through things like the fuel system, the brake system, the cooling system, ignition system, starting system, charging system, front wheel bearings, and other things to where now I have no problem taking it out and knowing I should have no issues. I still have work to do like check the drive shaft U joints, replace the rear axle oil as well as the transmission gear oil, and someother things and the lost may never end but once you get a handle on things, it should be even more enjoyable to get out.

Oh, and go to all of the local car shows and cruises you can as you never know what might show up.

Jim

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
This is a '67, and it has HEI added, but it gives you an idea.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,843 Posts
jd

Nice pictures -- very clean -- mine never looked that clean (still doesn't)

How you doing ?

cudall --- where in Arizona ? ...... and, Welcome to SNS

jim
Chino Valley, Arizona

·
Registered
1963 convertible
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics jd it helps so much! Jim, i'm in St. Johns, over in eastern az in the white mountains.
Cameron

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Cameron ...

go here for good info on your 63 .... and, for ALL Novas .

https://www.novaresource.org/

1st - look for u'r vin number (look on your drivers door jam).
2nd - look at u'r cowl # (look under u'r hood - on the firewall ,
... (vin # , TRM # (trim) , PNT # (original color for "top & lower section) , ACC # (the accessories that CAME on your car) , ? #'s .
3rd - write them down -- use on "Nova Resource.org" -- to find info.

hope this helps - save in your Favorites

jd's six motor pictures are Great -- 250 motor with "power steering"

and, a pic of a modified 250 (in my 69 - original motor - "Still Going")
with some up-grades .............. "More Power" .....
arrh - arrh - arrzz ... :D

jim

ps .... using ' Flickr.com ' ... for hosting pic's

·
13,977 Posts
2nd - look at u'r cowl # (look under u'r hood - on the firewall , ... (vin # , TRM # (trim) , PNT # (original color for "top & lower section) , ACC # (the accessories that CAME on your car) , ? #'s .
Oops, no VIN on the cowl tag. The first line contains the year and model number followed by the build plant code and Fisher Body sequence number.
Cowl tags were stamped by Fisher early in the body build sequence. VINs were assigned by Chevrolet after the body arrived from Fisher.

Bob

·
Registered
4,843 Posts

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Oops, no VIN on the cowl tag. The first line contains the year and model number followed by the build plant code and Fisher Body sequence number.
Cowl tags were stamped by Fisher early in the body build sequence. VINs were assigned by Chevrolet after the body arrived from Fisher.

Bob

Hi Bob

and, I knew that (I didn't make myself that clear) ...... thanks,
and, a great "point" (for Cameron) .................

there's a lot of guys (people) , too help you out on SNS .............

Bob , is one (very good with knowledge )
Custom Jim , another
and, many more...

Thanks, again

jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
basic engine

Just happen to have a pic of my engine from yesterday. Restoring, again, after 20 years. Keep it stock if you can. Not many of us left.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Just happen to have a pic of my engine from yesterday. Restoring, again, after 20 years. Keep it stock if you can. Not many of us left.
Hi there....

would you have any pictures of your engine from the right side ....... I'm working on my "factory a/c" in my 69 (250 - I6). any pictures of your fan - blade, water - pump pulley ?

Reason for asking --- on my motor , everything (a/c) is still stock ..... but ..... they (GM) used an "A/C only" ( I-6 ) water pump (shorter style water pump) , different w/p pulley (for "A/C only) , V-8 (3 row - HD) radiator , and 7 blade V8 fan with ("A/C only - I-6 ) fan clutch.

I have been 'looking for' that fan clutch for over 20 years (with no luck) ...... my 69 "FAM" list 6 different 'clutch numbers'. I know that three of those #'s are for V8's.

Thank you for your time ....

jim

V-8 fan blade -- # 3947772 (seven blade fan)

I-6 (a/c) water pump pulley -- # 3915975 - DG ( six cyl. w/factory A/C only). 2 grove pulley.

AND , WELCOME to SNS
where are u located ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts