Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that run nitrous, make sure you keep the solenoids and plungers in good shape. Here's what happens when one sticks at the far end of the track and you fire it up to head back to the pits.

It's a friend of ours car and this was his backup engine/intake but still pretty nasty.

·
Registered
508 Posts
did he not hear the n2o going into the motor? thats why we kill the power and crank the engine over several times before we try and fire it back up. no fire no KABOOM! we also have been in that situation but luckely didnt have the same out come. that sucks!!!!!!:( did it hurt anything else? i see two units on that thing i bet it halls!!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have a ball valve on my NOS line. I leave it off until I am out of the water going to stage the car. Then I cut it on and purge the system just prior to staging it. I make the pass and while driving back to the trailer I shut the valve off and purge the line so this can't/shouldn't happen. I always make sure no pressure is against the solenoids prior to shutting the motor off. I think what happened to him is going to leave a mark........LOL. RM

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have a ball valve on my NOS line. I leave it off until I am out of the water going to stage the car. Then I cut it on and purge the system just prior to staging it. I make the pass and while driving back to the trailer I shut the valve off and purge the line so this can't/shouldn't happen. I always make sure no pressure is against the solenoids prior to shutting the motor off. I think what happened to him is going to leave a mark........LOL. RM
we did the same thing when we ran a N20 car in PSCA extreeme street. Wilson makes those burst panels thats a good idea.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since this was the backup engine etc. and he was only going to run it this past weekend, he didn't take the purge solenoids off the other intake, so had no purge hooked up and couldn't bleed it off....it got bled off anyway!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
When nitrous goes bad!!!!!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
hey al ive been wanting to run nitrous for a while i think your videos just changed my mind :yes: :confused: :( :eek: :D
had a buddy in high school (96) that had a tacoma truck with a 75 shot of nitrous jerry rigged on his truck.
car lit up at our local "track" while he was street racing. he had to bail out of the truck going 90mph. truck went into a ditch at the end of the "track" and lit a canyon on fire.
one of the coolest things i ever saw with my two eyes :no:

i love nitrous, i would like to build a nitrous motor someday.

·
Registered
508 Posts
there is alot to learn about N2O. some people think that its easy as 1.2.3. if you do your reasearch about it and learn a little before tackaling it you willl be alot beter off. also you got to think about how much nitrous is being used on those cars in the vids and on the car in the pics. those arnt your everyday setups with a 100- 150 plate systems. those boys are flowing more nitrous in one pass than i would flow in five!:yes: and im on about a 275 hit.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's nothing to really be afraid of as long as you learn how it works and take normal preventative maintenance measure etc. Remember nitrous is only mostly Oxygen, it DOES NOT burn. It's only added to increase the amount of oxygen and fuel into an engine.

Any time you are trying to make serious power (1,000 - 2,500 hp) when things go wrong, they go seriously wrong, no matter what power adder you are using.

An excellent forum that has some industry nitrous guru's on a regular basis is here http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

The more you learn and understand it and take the mystery out of it, the less fear and uncertainty you will have on using it. Out of all I've learned about it in the last couple of years there's one item that is MOST important...learn how to read your plugs!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts