Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first car ever about 2 1/2 years ago,a 73 nova from a guy down in st. augustine florida.I was pretty excited at the time because growing up id always wanted a muscle car but do to some legal and financial issues i wasn't allowed to have a license for quite some time.Thankfully for me the military solved both those problems,and coming home from my 2nd deployment finally having a license i was itching for a car which in retrospect is probably why I landed with this $7500 life lesson.When I went to go check it out the guy popped the hood and told me he had just put a new engine in it me at the time not knowing anything deeper than panels and paint on a car(I went to high school for autobody)I took his word for it ,it had a shiny manifold and a bright orange block and heads thats what a new engine looks like right?Right.the guy told me to take it easy on the drive home don't go above 60 or 70 as the engine had to break in,but me being a smart *** decided to pass a tractor trailer and open it up ,about 10 ft and a 120mph past that tractor trailer was perhaps the second scariest noise id ever heard,if you've never heard an grenade go off an engine tossing all but 2 rods(v8) is pretty damn close.fast forward to 2 weeks later,car is towed back to Georgia and I'm $7,500 down in the hole.Luckily for me our mechanic happens to be a good friend of mine and offers up the use of a "free shop facility" if i want to take a look at what happened,me not being one to quit i decide to go all out with this car and have the last laugh,i order a zz4 from jegs and with the help of a couple buddy's drop a new engine in it.Taking the old engine out and looking it over was a trip,my camshaft was in 12 pieces and some were wedged sideway which I'm told is extremely hard to accomplish, a rod was stuck in my firewall that would of killed me if it passed through it,that one pretty much stumped everyone as to how it could end up there but regardless I'm alive so i won't complain.Putting my engine in turned into a 3 day ordeal and come monday morning 3 o clock i was scrambling to get it finished and out of there before everyone showed up at work which would have resulted in severe punishment I'm sure is beyond even the most twisted individuals imagination on this site(barring ex military enlisted types) but luck would have it my way and i managed to get it out before work.The car sat for a while in the parking lot of the barracks while i tried to figure out why it wouldn't start so eventually i folded and took it to a shop,turned out the new flywheel was just a bit to small and some wires were reversed all that had to be done was swap out the old flywheel and switch some cables..that cost $1200.I got penetrated to say the least and believe me if i could've had it my way i would've walked out of that shop with not only my car for free but a few souvenirs,but hey you can't always get what you want so i left with another important life lesson under my belt and a running car at least.I drove the thing for about 1 hour before i had to deploy again and upon returning i came home to discover that the title was "missing" from a girl id had hold on to it for me.Im 99.9 percent sure it ended up burned with a lot of my other stuff but thats another story for another thread.so the car sat on the back burner while i did what i do best and bummed around until about 5 months ago before my last deployment id finally decided to **** or get off the pot.Through a recommendation of a friend i linked up with an awesome shop that cut me tons of breaks and never b.s'd me on anything they did the guy even goes as far as to show me how to fix all my problems myself so i won't have to come back.While i was gone he had a 700r4 tranny built put an entire new front end on it do a lot of rust work new rear leafs and a lot of other stuff.I had a webber individual carb that i bought originally to put on but after issues with the manifold leaking i just slapped an edlebrock on to hold me over,despite what everyone tells me to do and sell the intake set up I've decided to stick with the theme of persevering and its become my side project.as far as the title went i ended up getting so fed up with the red tape hypocrisy of the dmv telling me my car was to old to bond and there was no way I could prove that I owned it and had to scrap it that I just *cough* a bill of sale.Thats all there is really to my oddessy,I'm happy with my lemon and I'm glad i had to fight to get this thin working.That kind of **** builds character

1 - 1 of 1 Posts