Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1966 chevy II nova SS. The previous owner had installed an HEI dist. but never got around to wiring it up correctly. It has a direct wire from the altinator that you have to turn on before starting the car. I want to get this think right. Where are you guys pulling power from.
Thank you,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
It would a be best to get the resistor wire replaced with a normal copper wire on your engine wiring harness and use that. That's the only wire already in the engine bay that only has power at run time and during the start cycle. It's designed to feed the ignition, so that would be my primary recommendation.

You could also run a wire from the accessory terminal on the fuse block also, or from the pink wire on your ignition switch, but then you have to run it through the firewall and risk shorting the circuit out when the insulation gets cut or rubbed through.

The pink wire on the ignition switch is a full 12v and that pink wire is on the inside of the car and that pink wire feeds the resistor wire in the engine bay. It's pink inside the car, then switches to the goofy colored resistor wire after it leaves the engine harness bulkhead at the firewall.

You could take the resistor wire out of the firewall plug, and replace the terminal end at the firewall side with a normal copper wire, and then reinstall it. It should be pretty easy to do if you're handy with some fine pliers.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
And don't be tempted to take a short cut and just use the resistor wire. You'll need the full 12 volts and current.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts