Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting a build on my '71 Ventura, and I'm debating how I want the thing to look. I know pretty much nothing about wheels, so I need some guidance. I don't want to go too far from stock as to not spend too much. I was thinking something similar to the picture below, both with the wheels themselves and the ride height.

I honestly have no idea where to start, could someone point me in the right direction on what sizes to look for and specific parts?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
The car you have as a reference is definitely not stock in the wheel and suspension department.. The wheels are probably 17-18 inch diameter where a stock original world have most likely been a steel 14 inch.. Also, the reference car looks to be modestly lowered maybe about 2 inches..

You can lower your car 2” all around if you want the lowered look.. Atermarket wheel choices are vast.. So you’re going to have to decide on what you like. 15 to 18 inch wheels should be easy enough to find in 7-8 inch widths to fit a 3rd gen Nova.. Stance and wheels are pretty important if not the most important aspect of a build to set the tone and attitude of a vehicle.. It’s also a very personal decision..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The car you have as a reference is definitely not stock in the wheel and suspension department.. The wheels are probably 17-18 inch diameter where a stock original world have most likely been a steel 14 inch.. Also, the reference car looks to be modestly lowered maybe about 2 inches..

You can lower your car 2” all around if you want the lowered look. Wheel aftermarket choices are vast.. So you’re going to have to decide on what you like. 15 to 18 inch wheels should be easy enough to find in 7-8 inch widths to fit a 3rd gen Nova.. Stance and wheels are pretty important if not the most important aspect of a build to set toa tone and attitude of a vehicle.. It’s also a very personal decision..
Thanks for the response. How would I go about fitting those bigger wheels? I'm willing to stray away from my original plan to keep it stock, because I think it looks just that much better with those black ones.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Generally speaking, there are a lot of black wheels on the market so you’ll have to decide which ones speak to you. The wheels on the reference car look like US Mags, Rambler which is a line handled by MHT.. That wheel is available in a variety of sizes and finishes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have kept my car stock with 14 inch steel wheels and original hubcaps. I like it that way. However, if I were in your shoes, I would at least move up to 15 inch wheels. I am currently in the market for new tires, and it is getting harder and harder to find tires that fit 14 inch wheels. While they are still made, choices are dwindling. Some of the major tire manufacturers no longer make tires to fit 14 inch wheels.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Really take yor time with deciding on wheels - none are cheap, even originals, when you add in tires, mounting wheels, etc - one option would be is to get larger new wheel replicas - but, upgrading your suspension & brake system should be included when doing the math - just do a general search for pictures online for year/model of your car - need to take plenty of measurements under car wheel wells, etc - have fun

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Forget those wheels. I'd like to put Summit Warrior R/T's both in the front and back, because it seems like it would be cheaper, easier, and look just as good.

I've been seeing a lot of guys saying that I can fit a 275/60r15 tire in the back on a 15x8 wheel with 5.5 BS without modifying the wheel well or suspension components. But I'm also seeing people saying that I need 5 BS for that tire, and others saying that I need 4.5 BS. So I'm confused on what is correct.

I can't find any information about a good setup in the front. I'd like to have a narrower tire on a 15" rim, but I'm unsure about the backspacing and widths I'd need. And yes, I'll probably drop it an inch or two if it looks ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I really can’t speak to the detailed fitments of 3rd gen cars. They do have a bit more space available and the width and backspacing will be critical if you plan on maximizing the wheel and tire package you want to run all around. If you are going to lower it you will need to take the lower ride height into account. The more tire you want the more likely you will need to make modifications to accommodate them..
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll need 5" or 5.5" BS with spacers as needed to get a 275/60-15 tire on an 8" wheel under a third gen without rubbing. I have 235/60-15 tires in front with a 15x7 wheel with 4.25" BS with no rubbing that I can tell, and I'm lowered about 1" or so (never actually measured). I have pics in my build thread.
Is there any chance 4" BS will work in the front? I was considering that exact same combo of 235/60r15's on 15x7's but I was unsure because the wheels I want in 15x7 are only available with 4" BS. And, as said, I can roll the fenders if needed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have drum or disc brakes in front? If drum you should be fine (I'm rubbing on my inner fender liner because a corner is bent, so going out 1/4" would help), but disc brakes space you out around 1/2" each side, so that might get tight depending on how low you go in front.
It's got drum brakes, but they are on the verge of self-destructing so it's gonna get disc brakes.

If I went for 215 or 205/60r15 tires with the 4" BS wheels, would I be alright? I plan to cut out a coil to drop it an inch or two.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
If you can barrow some GM 15x7 Rally or plain steel wheels with a tire size similar to what you have in mind to run. You can get a good visual idea of what you can fit on your car..

The Summit wheels you have selected don’t seem to bad with the 4” backspace but seeing is believing..

Maybe a SNS member is near you..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Why cut coils to drop it? I bought Z-28 springs for something like $70, higher spring rate than stock (firmer, better handling) and a 1-2" drop depending on weight in front.
I just thought I would have more flexibility if I bought stock-spec springs and then cut them to my liking. Same thing with the leafs, I could see how it looks at stock ride height and then put a 1.5" lowering block if I wanted to.

If you really think that it's that much better, what springs would I need exactly? Car has an l6 w/o AC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts