Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wheels just came in today so i thought i would report how they fit.
Wheels purchased are Billet Specialities Street Lite 15x7--4.5" back spacing
Tire BFG Drag Radial 235/60/15
Stock rear end and suspension. Tires rubbing outer wheel tub above the quarter lip and pass side tire rubs quarter lip. I know how to fix the quarter lip, but was wondering how to massage the outer part of the wheel tub to gain clearance? any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
That is a tough one. I have the same problem on my 3rd gen. You can't really beat it with a hammer as you are likely to damage the outer quarter. I am probably going to put air shocks on mine just to lift it a tad so it doesn't rub. I checked into re-arching the leaf springs and that would run me about $200, but I would have to tear it all apart and take the springs in. I haven't heard of a good way to "massage" that wheel tub....

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Car must be sitt'n pretty low.

I guessing you are saying the widest part of the tire rubs right where the fender contour goes in and starts back up.

If that's the case, I agree with Eric. You're only option is to lift the rear and stiffen the ride to keep the travel to a minimum.

Typically 235s on 7s w/ 4.5" BS is a no-no without rolling the lip. 4.5 on 8s might have just made it. Sounds like your car is riding low too. Mine are 2.25-60x 7s w/ 4.25" BS and have never ever come close to rubbing. My ride is old school, a little higher than people like it today but your combo has everything going against it if you want the lower meaner look of today.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
OK Here goes, There will be people on here that say this is a No No
Get a OlD Baseball Bat put between your tire & fenderwell & roll the wheel . LOL This will work I have 15 x7with 70 no trouble on my blue 65
. Later Larry Mc

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Larry Mc, How wide are they? 215, 225, 235 etc

I have 373 gears so I went with 235 ,, 15" on 7" by 235 I hope this will help
. Later Larry Mc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Powderski; Today at 06:47 PM

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used a railroad shaped body dolly and beat on my wheel wells for about an hour and got maybe 1/4" to 3/8" total additional clearance. Also make sure your rear axle is centered drop a plumb bob by taping some string with a nut at the end to the quarter panel and measure to the wheel flange mounting on the brake. Mine was off towards the passenger side bit and the passenger tire put on a smoke show when turning left at speed!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys. I got the grinder out with a flapper wheel and started grinding being careful not to put too much heat in the quarter panel. Well i did not burn the paint but ground through the wheel tub. So wheels are for sale and i am going to mini tub it and install a 9" ford rear. also will go with a 8 or 10 inch wheel. my question is will a 28" tall tire 275/60/15 fit when I mini tub it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
thanks for the info guys. I got the grinder out with a flapper wheel and started grinding being careful not to put too much heat in the quarter panel. Well i did not burn the paint but ground through the wheel tub. So wheels are for sale and i am going to mini tub it and install a 9" ford rear. also will go with a 8 or 10 inch wheel. my question is will a 28" tall tire 275/60/15 fit when I mini tub it? Thanks
:eek:ouch....sounds like an expensive lesson learned:eek:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mini tub will fix the wheel well, but there are alot of things to consider. If you change the rear your starting from scratch. You really need to get under the car with the new rear and mini tub and measure. Once your done measuring measure again. When your all done measuring try and borrow a wheel and tire you think will fit and try it on for size . This will give you a good idea of what will really work. You can cut the rear to the length you want and order wheels and tire from there. Good luck with your project :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
im all over this - ive been posting in a couple other threads about wheels and my dilema' - yet, never thought going mini tub wouldn't be too expensive and would achieve the over all look

i'm suscribing rigidone' - please update with pics if you could. thnx'

·
Registered
32 Posts
So wheels are for sale and i am going to mini tub it and install a 9" ford rear. also will go with a 8 or 10 inch wheel. my question is will a 28" tall tire 275/60/15 fit when I mini tub it? Thanks
did you ever mini tub? if so, which kit? (if you dont mind)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts