Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing my wheel tubs in my 67 Nova 2 dr. I have heard that you should install the tubs as high as possible but this will force me to make the rear windows permanently closed. The question I am asking myself is which is more important: a lower ride height or functioning rear windows?Does anyone have working rear windows in their pro street/drag novas?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I dont know why you would loose the window operation. Maybe the year? 67. I have a 62 and have some full tubs and 4-link and have full rear windows. Oh, no seats for anyone to roll them down though :D JR

Oh, and my tubs are 17" from the center of the axle all around the top and pretty far down to where it gets a lil smaller (15 inches) from the center axle to the forward section of the car. So maybe if you encroach into that area, where you have to cut the window area out thats what you are hearing. I havent looked into the window channel area but Ill bet there is an inch or more of room to play with. Whats the OD of the tire you want to use??

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
So I was thinking, how big of a tire do the strip guys use. So I went to MT site. There are many tires 30" and smaller that would do the job. I could fit a 30" tire in (may have to drop the shocks out to lower the rear) without having to get into the window channel area. And my 4-link is not even close to the window area? How does that interfere?? JR

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETDrag

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
My rear quarter windows are fastened in place (I didn't want them moving while going down the track), but the regulator and tracks are all there. The rear quarter windows would probably come down 1/4 of the way before hitting the tubs. I mounted my tubs so that the top is flush with the package tray to fit a 33-inch tall tire and accommodate tire growth.

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
So I was thinking, how big of a tire do the strip guys use. So I went to MT site. There are many tires 30" and smaller that would do the job. I could fit a 30" tire in (may have to drop the shocks out to lower the rear) without having to get into the window channel area. And my 4-link is not even close to the window area? How does that interfere?? JR

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETDrag
How much rear window interference you are going to have depends primarily on tire diameter (and the resulting wheel tub diameter) and how low you are planning on having the car sit to the ground. Also if you keep the rear tire located in the stock centerline or decide to move the centerline rearward can also affect the rear window. Stretched wheel openings require larger tubs too which affect the rear windows.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
How much rear window interference you are going to have depends primarily on tire diameter (and the resulting wheel tub diameter) and how low you are planning on having the car sit to the ground. Also if you keep the rear tire located in the stock centerline or decide to move the centerline rearward can also affect the rear window. Stretched wheel openings require larger tubs too which affect the rear windows.
Yes.. Yer right on. I carried my tubs up in the front from the original wheel housing. I wasnt planning on a race setup, just wanted to enclose the 4-link frame. Just happens to be centered within the original quarter there is a good 15" from the center of the axle. And yeah, thats a firm 15" so to run a 30" tire would mean encroaching into the window housing.

Im still curious why your 4-link setup even came close to the window housing?? From your "4-link rear suspensions interfere more." I dont see the 4-link suspension having anything to do with the window clearance?? JR

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me, the suspension doesnt interfere, its just the wheel tubs. When they are centered over the wheel and raised almost all the way to the package tray, the tub interferes with the back of the rear window when it is rolled down. I am using 35" wheel tubs btw

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
Yes.. Yer right on. I carried my tubs up in the front from the original wheel housing. I wasnt planning on a race setup, just wanted to enclose the 4-link frame. Just happens to be centered within the original quarter there is a good 15" from the center of the axle. And yeah, thats a firm 15" so to run a 30" tire would mean encroaching into the window housing.

Im still curious why your 4-link setup even came close to the window housing?? From your "4-link rear suspensions interfere more." I dont see the 4-link suspension having anything to do with the window clearance?? JR
My tubs interfere with the rear windows because I have stretched wheel openings and my car is designed to sit 8" off the ground in the rear (although it can go down lower than 6" if I want). I can also run a 33" tire if I want to. My rear windows still roll down some, just not all the way. 4-links have the ability to slam the car lower and the frame rails protrude higher-up in the car. That's why pro street 4-link cars (not the bolt-ons) tend to have tubs higher-up and closer to interfering with the rear windows than some ladder bar cars do.

Since real pro street cars don't have back seats, my rear windows don't need to roll down.;)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
My tubs interfere with the rear windows because I have stretched wheel openings and my car is designed to sit 8" off the ground in the rear (although it can go down lower than 6" if I want). I can also run a 33" tire if I want to. My rear windows still roll down some, just not all the way. 4-links have the ability to slam the car lower and the frame rails protrude higher-up in the car. That's why pro street 4-link cars (not the bolt-ons) tend to have tubs higher-up and closer to interfering with the rear windows than some ladder bar cars do.

Since real pro street cars don't have back seats, my rear windows don't need to roll down.;)
Yeah, I kinda know what you mean. I did this back in 1996. Weld in Art Morrison 4-link. Quite abit of welding. My first time welding so go easy on the critiques LOL Now with the air ride I just finished I can drop it to the ground. Backseat?? What back seat. Oh, but my windows still work. No one back there to operate the handles so I got electric lifts :)

And novapat67, I hope Im not hijacking this thread from you buddy. Not my intention.. JR

And its half way done STILL!! Gotta get on it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts