Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I installed my wheel tubs I left about an 1/8" gap all the way around them to the quarter panel so there was no contact between the two. Now....I used 3M Fast n Firm seam sealer around the edge to seal it up...its been a couple years now since I did this!

My problem...We've been doin bodywork and had it pretty much ready to paint after HOURS of fillin, blockin n primin!! The car was sittin outside and I noticed a "waahoo" in the side....you could see EXACTLY where the wheel tub was on the inside!!! You cant feel it...and it doesnt block out...its like its not there till you get down on it and look down the side...BOTH SIDES?!?!?!

All I can figure is the seam sealer is "shrinkin" with temp change or something...cuz its pullin IN the panel around the tub and not pushing it....but why now...and why doesnt it show up when blockin out the car?!?!

I've already cut out all the sealer, and it actually made it WORST lookin now!!! I plan on using a urethane window type sealer around it now since it stays quite plyable after time...

Has anyone had any kind of experience with this before....I know alot of car builders and old timers and a couple said it happened to them and the rest figured the sh*t was shrinkin and pullin the panel in ?!?!

I'm fixin it as we speak...but just wantin to hear some more opinions on this..iif you know what I'm talkin about!?

THeres some pics of the bottom in the 1st gen section to see what the tubs look like and what not...

Later,
Gary

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Bump....

I have heard of this happening if the tubs were attached "solidly" to the quarters....possibly the sealer you used was solid enough to cause this to happen...I'm not sure how to correct it.........I just thought I would bump this up for you....Sorry this isnt more help except for the bump......Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Seal

I wouldn't think Fast and Firm would be Good for that use.I believe Silicone would work Better.

Joe

·
Registered
673 Posts
I image the simple is appearing because you push against the tub, the sheetmetal flexs away, which creates an artificial high spot there. then, you releive the prssure and then it becomes a low spot.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
When attempting to join/seal the tubs back to the quarter, couldn't you do something similar to how the firewall to fender seals are done on the front of the early Novas? There's a flexible seal that attaches to the cowl that butts up against or overlaps the fender and covers the gap between the two.

Couldn't something like that work for sealing the gap between the quarter and the tub without having problems with the sealer pulling on the quarter panel?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey Gary,

Just wondering if you ever figured out the problem? Im ditching my mini tubs and going with real tubs and am trying to figure out the best method of attaching them to the 1/4's

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts